Best Dog-proof Fences Review
Dogs are escape artists, especially when they are interested in something. You can keep your dog in your yard by using a fence. However, there is no perfect fencing solution. There are several dog fences in the market, and this article discusses things to note before purchasing one. Kindly read along for more information.
Type of Fencing Materials
There are several materials used in making dog fences, and they differ in the security they provide. Materials for dog fences include.
- Picket fences
This type of fence is generally shirt, and there are significant gaps between the slats. Most picket fences have decorative post caps, and they are more suitable for aesthetic purposes. Picket Fences can be from wood, vinyl, or PVC. Furthermore, picket fences and only ideal for laid-back dogs. Active dogs can easily jump over a picket fence.
- Metal fence
This is a series of vertical metal poles and horizontal connecting rods. Metal fences are usually from wrought iron or aluminum, and they range between 3 and 6 feet in height. When installing a metal fence, ensure that the gaps between the poles are narrow to prevent your dog’s head from slipping through. Dogs can squeeze through the fence if there are large gaps. Metal fences are ideal for medium and large dogs that hardly leap. However, athletic dogs may be able to jump over this type of fence.
- Brick fences
Although expensive, there is no height limit to brick fences. This type of fence can contain the most resilient and strongest dogs. The bricks used in creating this fence can be standard red bricks or concrete bricks.
- Chain-connected fence
Usually, a series of steel poles and a long sheet of galvanized wires are used for making a chain-connected fence. The fence varies in height, and most of them are coated in vinyl. This type of fence is cheap fencing to keep dogs out of the garden. Although some dogs can climb over chain-connected fences, you can install taller versions of the fence.
- Solid fences
This type of fence is usually from wood; it is otherwise known as a privacy fence. The ones from plastic or composite material are usually more expensive but require less maintenance. Solid fences are over 6 feet high, with their slats sitting directly on each other, leaving no gaps. This type of fence blocks out dogs’ visuals, and they are most suitable for reactive dogs.
What are Invisible Dog Fences?
Invisible fences are an alternative to physical fences. They have a wireless radio signal unit that emits a circular zone around a yard. Also, a wire-base unit requires you to dig a trench around the enclosed perimeter and bury the wire in the trench. Another component of the invisible fence is a special collar that delivers shocks of varying intensities when the dog attempts to cross the zone.
Furthermore, you need to train your dog to recognize the boundary. It would be best to place small flags around the zone to give your dog a visual clue. When your dog approaches the boundary, the collar delivers small mild shocks, and the shocks strength increases as your dog get closer to the boundary.
You may not be able to customize a radio unit for oddly shaped yards, and large boulders can obstruct the radio’s boundary line. You also need to invest a lot of training time to help your dog understand the perimeter and to prevent traumatizing the dog. It is best to go for a physical fence if you cannot invest in training your dog.
Things to Note Before Installing a Dog-proof Fence
- Installation: some fences take longer to install than other fences, and you may require professional help. If you want to install your fence by yourself, you should go for easy-to-install fences.
- Aesthetics, it is best to go for a fence that appeals to your sense of style. Also, take note of the resale value of your home when purchasing a fence.
- Maintenance, some dog fences require lower maintenance than others. If you purchase a metal fence, it needs periodical sanding because of rust. Wooden fences will need repainting every few years while chain-connected fences require little maintenance.
- Durability, when purchasing a dog fence, it is best to go for fences with the most durable materials.
- Cost, before purchasing a dog fence, it is best to factor in installation and maintenance costs to ensure it fits in your budget.
- Security, it is best to purchase fences that your dog can’t jump over or dig under. Also, think of your dog’s size and demeanor.
The 4 Best Dog-proof Fences in 2021 Are Reviewed Below
This section discusses the best dog-proof fences in no particular order. Kindly read on for more information.
Zippity Outdoor Products Vinyl Picket Fence
The Zippity vinyl picket fence is a white fence from vinyl material. This stylish fence gives your home a beautiful look while containing your dog. The fence is suitable for semi-permanent residential applications; it cannot withstand intense conditions subject to wear and tear. The package comes with two units that make up a total of 113 inches of the fence.
It is easy to assemble and install the Zippity vinyl picket fence. All you need do is insert the pointed stakes into the ground without digging. The fence can ideally contain small dogs, and it does not crack, warp, splinter, or rot. The fence is from weather-resistant vinyl, and it comes with a 10-year warranty. You don’t need to paint, stain, or maintain the fence; simply spraying the garden hose will keep your fence looking clean and new.
The top of the fence is a scallop, and it has a pointed style. Each panel in the package is 58 inches wide and 30 inches tall.
- 113 inches fence
- Ten-year warranty
- Scallop top
- Pointed style
- Weather-resistant vinyl material
- Easy assembly
- Brand: Zippity Outdoor Products
- Material: Vinyl
- Dimensions: 56.5 × 1.5 × 30 in
- Weight: 9 lbs.
- Color: White
- The fence is suitable for semi-permanent residences
- You can easily assemble and install the fence with little or no digging
- The weather-resistant vinyl makes it durable and resistant to cracking, warping, yellowing, or rotting
- You don’t need to paint or stain the fence
- The fence does not require a lot of maintenance. A simple cleaning with a garden hose is enough to keep the fence looking new
- The fence can ideally contain small pets
- The fence cannot withstand intense wear and tear
- The fence cannot contain large dogs
Casa Verde Dual Lox Privacy Fence Slat
The Casa Verde fence slats make your chain fence more secure. You do not need any tools to install these slats. All you need do is simply slide the fence slats through the chain-connected mesh till it clicks in the provided channel. The fence provides a superior dual-point locking system with easy-to-install slats held securely in place by a bottom locking channel.
The package contains 82 slats and three 4-feet long locking channels covering ten linear feet of fence. Apart from the security and privacy you enjoy, the slats are UV stable. You can pressure wash the fence with plain water. Furthermore, the fence can withstand severe wind and weather. You can also choose between 5 colors for a stylish look.
- Dual Lox design
- No tools necessary
- Easy assembly
- 82 slats
- Superior dual-point locking system
- UV stable
- Brand: Casa Verde
- Material: high-density polyethylene (HDPE)
- Dimensions: 2.5 × 70 × 25 in
- Weight: 8.3 lbs.
- The slats have a simple design that can keep your chain fence secure
- You don’t need any tools when assembling the slats
- The package can cover ten linear feet of fence
- The slats provide a superior dual-point locking system for added security
- There’s a bottom locking channel that holds the slats securely in place
- The fence slat is resistant to severe weather conditions. It is also resistant to environmental pollutants, road dirt, sand, and saltwater
- The Casa Verde fence slats have a special design for reducing the harmful effects of the sun
- You can assemble the package in minutes to few hours
- The high-density polyethylene material alongside the UV inhibitors makes the fence UV stable and resistant to severe wind and weather
- You can maintain this fence by pressure washing with plain water
- There is a ten-year limited warranty on this product
- You can choose between 5 color options to suit your preferences
PetSafe Wireless Fence Pet Containment System
The PetSafe wireless pet containment system is a wireless fence kit that creates a circular boundary around a perimeter. The system gives a dome-shaped play area that covers up to half-acre. Using this pet containment system for your dog helps you train them to stay within a perimeter. The system has a static-free reentry, which means no shocks when your pet re-enters the zone.
The PetSafe wireless containment system can fit pets 8 pounds or more and with a neck size between 6 and 28 inches. The battery life is about two months; therefore, you don’t have to worry about changing batteries always. Also, there is a low battery indicator. Furthermore, the collar has five adjustable correction levels which you should set according to your dog’s temperament.
The wireless fence is suitable for multiple purposes. You can use it in renters by positioning the base unit inside the home to create a wireless circular boundary. You can maximize the coverage of the wireless fence by placing the transmitter on the level you want coverage, near a power outlet, or at least 3 feet away from large metal objects. You do not need to dog or bury wires. All you need to do is ensure there is a power source.
The compact and portable design of the wireless fence makes it suitable for adventurers. You can easily carry the transmitter. Thus, it is excellent for travel, moving homes, and camping. You just have to ensure that there is a power source available for the unit base.
Another significant feature of the PetSafe wireless containment system is its flexible expansion. You can use an additional base transmitter to create a larger fence area; this gives your pets more freedom and space to play.
With its numerous features, the wireless fence is still a cheaper alternative to a traditional fence. The wireless fence can notably offer good and predictable boundaries for your pets. The setup time of the wireless fence is between one and two hours, with a circular boundary shape and a ¾ acre coverage area. In addition, you get a professional training guide in the package to help you train your pets in just two weeks.
When setting up the wireless containment system, place the transmitter in a weatherproof location. Plug the system into a power outlet and adjust the dial to cover the perfect perimeter for your dog. You can also set a personalized coverage between 5 and 90 feet in all directions from the base unit or 180 feet across the base unit.
The PetSafe wireless containment system can contain an unlimited number of pets in a single system. The tone-only mode on the system is suitable for training your pets because it alerts them with a beep.
When you purchase the PetSafe wireless containment system, you get 50 training flags, a test light tool, product manual, waterproof receiver, adjustable collar, a mounting bracket with hardware, and a transmitter with a power adaptor. Other package components include a PetSafe RFA-67 battery and short and long contact points suitable for short and long-haired pets.
- Circular boundary
- Dome-shaped perimeter
- Static-free reentry
- Waterproof collar
- Two months battery life
- Low battery indicator
- Five adjustable levels of correction
- Cost-effective fence
- 1 to 2 hours setup time
- ¾ acre coverage
- Unlimited number of pets
- Tone only training mode
- One-year limited warranty
- Brand: PetSafe
- Color: Gray
- Style: Wireless Fence Kit
- Dimensions: 11 × 12 × 9 in
- Weight: 12.8 oz.
- The PetSafe wireless containment system provides a circular boundary
- The dome-shaped perimeter can cover between ½ and ¾ acre
- The wireless fence provides a static-free reentry. Your pet does not feel any shock when re-entering the perimeter
- The collar is waterproof
- The wireless system is suitable for pets up to 8 pounds in weight and neck size between 6 and 28 inches
- The battery life of the system can last up to 2 months
- There is a low battery indicator on the system
- The system has five adjustable shock levels
- The wireless fence is suitable for use at home and on the go. It is excellent for camping, travels, and moving homes
- An additional system provides flexible expansion giving your pets extra room and freedom
- The system is cost-effective. It is cheaper than installing a traditional fence
- The setup time is between one and two hours
- There is a professional training guide that helps you train your pets in two weeks
- You can personalize the coverage between 5 and 90 feet in all directions from the base unit. For directions across the base unit, you can personalize up to 180 feet
- The coverage area is up to ¾ acre
- A system can contain an unlimited number of pets
- There is a tone-only training mode that allows you to train your pets. With this mode, a beep alerts your pets
- You can set a secure barrier without burying wires
- Large metal objects can interfere with the signal
- The battery is non-rechargeable
Vivohome Heavy-duty Foldable Pet Fence Playpen
Keeping your dog contained in your yard without using a leash should not be difficult. Hence, dog-proof fences. The Vivohome playpen is a heavy-duty but lightweight fence suitable for use outdoors, indoors, and in rooms. The foldable fence has 16 metal panels forged from quality steel, making it durable and rust-proof. The fence has a safety bolt that prevents escape. The fence has a free assembly that allows you to fix the fence in different shapes.
The Vivohome playpen creates a large playground for your pets, and with its round edges and smooth steel wires, it is safe for pets. In addition, the materials for the fence are thick and heavy, preventing pets from chewing or pushing around. The fence also has plenty of panels that allow you to adjust the size of the playpen depending on the area you’re setting up the fence.
You can easily keep your pets contained with this playpen. There is a latch door that allows you to install the playpen in any direction you like. Also, the latch door is at the fence’s exterior, and it provides additional protection that prevents pets from escaping.
The dog fence helps you save time and energy because of its easy to open gates, especially with larger, heavier dogs. The fence also has fixed stakes that are used for fixing the panels to the ground to prevent the barrier from knocking over. For outdoor use, insert the bar into the ground.
Purchasing the Vivohome foldable pet fence assures you of convenience, originality, and quality. In the package, you get 14 steel panels, two doors, and 16 steel bars. You can also purchase additional panels and stakes to make the playpen larger and perfect.
- Quality steel
- Safety bolt
- Free assembly
- Round edges and smooth steel wires
- 16 panels
- Latch door
- Easy-to-open gates
- Fixed stakes
- Brand: Vivohome
- Material: Black powder-coated metal tubes
- Color: Black
- Dimensions: 31.5 × 31.5 × 23.6 in
- Package Weight: 62.9 lbs.
- The Vivohome foldable pet fence is suitable for use in rooms, outdoors, or indoors
- The fence is available in two patterns to suit your preferences
- The metal is forged from quality steel, making it sturdy and durable
- There is a safety bolt on the pet fence that prevents escape
- The pet fence is rust-proof and effectively blocks weather corrosion
- The Vivohome pet fence boasts of originality because of its unique design to suit your needs
- The fence is large and spacious, creating a large playground for your pets
- There are round edges and smooth steel wires on the fence to ensure the safety of your pet
- The thick and heavy materials prevent your pets from chewing or pushing the fence around
- The fence has 16 panels, allowing you to make your playpen big or small, depending on the area you’re keeping the fence
- You can easily contain your dogs using this pet fence without restricting them on a leash
- The pet fence is easily foldable. You can quickly assemble, disassemble, and reassemble the pet-fence
- You can purchase additional panels and stakes to make the fence larger for your pets
- The latch door present allows you to install the fence in any direction you wish
- The latch door also provides further protection and prevents escape for your pets
- The easy to open gate prevents carrying heavier and larger dogs, thus saving time and energy
- The fixed stakes secure the panel in the ground, preventing the barrier from being knocked over
- You can form any shape with the fence with the panels to suit your space. Your fence may be rectangle, square, or octagon in shape
- The fence has smooth round edges that prevent pets from accidentally hurting themselves. Also, pets can run and jump freely in the fence as much as they want
- Although lightweight, the fence is sturdy and durable
- The dog fence is quite expensive
Buying Guide Questions
Below are answers to questions regarding dog-proof fences. Kindly read on for more information.
How do I fence proof my dog?
Fencing keeps your dog safe inside your yard, preventing escape. Some dogs are diggers, some are jumpers, and some may know how to open a gate. The fence proofing tips discussed here will help you prevent situations where your dog escapes. When fencing your yard, use a fence that suits your dog’s personality. Fencing materials include picket, metal, chain, brick, among others.
- Extending your fence higher: some dog breeds can jump up to 6 feet. Therefore, extending the height of your fence prevents escaping. It would be best if you thought of extending your fence’s height depending on your dog’s breed, agility, and age.
- Removing things your dog can climb on: regardless of your fence’s height, your dog may be able to scale the fence if there are items like chairs, garbage cans, or tables around.
- Landscaping: it will be difficult for your dog to jump across the fence if you plane dense shrubs along the fence line.
- Installing rollers at the top of the fence: rollers are long metal bars that can keep your dog safe in your yard. They prevent your dog from having a foothold on the fence.
- Extending the fence under the ground level. Dogs like digging. You can prevent your dog from escaping via a tunnel if you extend the fence below the ground level. Although this dog proofing may require more material, it is more efficient. You can also use an L-footer because it bends at an angle of 90 degrees, therefore preventing your dog from digging.
- Adding gravel or concrete to the base of your fence can prevent your dog from digging. Ensure you embed the bottom of your fence in the concrete before it solidifies.
- Blocking your dog’s view: dogs may want to climb the fence when they see things that interest them. You can block your dog’s view using climbing shrubs, rolls of bamboo, or reed fencing.
- Using a dog-proof clip or padlock: with practice, your dog may understand how to open the gate. Securing the gate with a dog-proof clip or padlock prevents your dog from opening the gate.
What can I put on the bottom of my fence to keep my dog in?
You can keep your dog in by using an L-footer along the bottom of the fence. Chicken wire, chain fence, or hardware cloth are materials you can put on the bottom of the fence. In addition, you can pour concrete along the bottom of the fence to discourage your dog from digging.
How can I keep my neighbor’s dog out of my yard?
You can discuss with your neighbor in a friendly way to keep their dog secure. However, if your neighbor’s dog still enters your yard, you can;
- Eliminate anything dogs may be attracted to in your yard
- Place barriers around your yard
- Clean up any dog excreta or urine in your yard. Dogs are attracted to places where they “go.” After cleaning up, douse the area with water to dilute the smell.
- Use a dog repellent. You can either buy one from the store or use natural repellents like citrus, vinegar, or ammonia. It is important to note that natural repellents may attract mice or affect your grass.
- Place water in milk jugs or large pop bottles around your yard. You can space them 3 feet apart. Dogs do not “go” where there is food or water.
- You may have standing water after watering your yard. Endure you remove any standing water because dogs like to lap.
Is a 4-foot fence tall enough for a dog?
The height of a fence is mainly dependent on the size of a dog. Large breed dogs like huskies, golden retrievers, and Labradors require five to six-foot-high fences.
How do I fix my fence, so the dogs don’t get out?
Proofing your fence can prevent your dogs from getting out. You can extend the height of your fence, remove things dogs can climb on, and landscape your fence. Other things you can do are install L-footers, add concrete to the base of your fence, or use a dog-proof padlock to lock your yard’s gate.
How do I fill the gap under my fence?
Gaps under the fence may allow unwanted wildlife into your yard and give your dogs an escape route. You can use stones, cedar pickets, concrete, or hardware cloth to fill gaps under the fence. When filling gaps under the fence, excavate the area a little bit and add the filling material to cover up the entire volume of the space.
How do I stop my dog from digging under the chain-connected fence?
Burying chicken wire under the chain fence will prevent your dog from digging further. When laying the chicken wire, place it horizontally on the ground and let it extend from the fence’s bottom to about one foot outward from the fence.
How do you keep dogs out of your yard naturally?
You can keep dogs off your yard naturally by using a dog repellent. Natural ingredients suitable as dog repellent include cayenne pepper, almond oil, ammonia, and vinegar. It is important to note that these repellents may harm your grass.
Can a German shepherd jump over a 4-foot fence?
A German shepherd can scale a 4-foot fence. You’ll need at least a 6 to 7 feet fence to keep your German shepherd in. Nevertheless, if your dog can still scale the fence, you can install a chicken wire on top of the fence.
What dog can jump the highest?
Some dogs can jump as high as 6 feet or even more with training, depending on the breed. Dog breeds that jump the highest include Belgian shepherd, Border collie, Whippet, Greyhound, German shepherd, Jack Russell Terrier, and Australian kelpie.
Dog fences can contain your dog and keep them from escaping. Although there’s no perfect fencing solution, it is best to note your dog’s demeanor and size before purchasing a fence.
You may be interested in the following articles;