Frisbees are a great way for your dogs to play chase and fetch. Ideally, when you throw a frisbee, it glides in the air at a very low curve, giving your dog enough time to chase and catch it out of the air. Depending on the frisbee, some fly long and low, and some fly up and down without going far. There is no perfect frisbee. Purchasing a frisbee should be entirely due to your dog’s needs. The best frisbees for dogs should be easy to grab out of the air, picked up from flat surfaces, and not hurt dogs’ teeth. Sometimes frisbee discs may be referred to as dog disc, throwing discs, flyers, or flying discs. This article discusses things you should think before purchasing a frisbee disc for your dog.
What Should You Note When Purchasing Frisbee Discs
- Color: red and green look like various shades of gray to dogs. However, they can see the colors blue and yellow. When purchasing frisbees, buy those with high visibility colors to help your dog spot them anywhere.
- Buoyancy: some frisbee discs float on water and snow while some don’t. If you want to play fetch with your dog all season, it is best to purchase a frisbee that floats
- Durability: the materials for making a frisbee determine its durability. It is best to purchase frisbees that can withstand the wear and tear from dog teeth.
- Dog size and breed: energetic and lean dog breeds love playing fetch and can play competitively with training. Also, frisbees are more suitable for medium to large-sized dogs. Smaller dogs require short throws to be able to catch a frisbee before it lands. Some dog breeds that play frisbees competitively include American pit bull terrier, border collie, golden retriever, boxer, and whippet.
- Dog’s health: take note of your pet’s health before purchasing frisbees. Dogs susceptible to hip and joint problems do not need frisbees. Nevertheless, you can ask a vet for more clarification.
Soft or Hard Frisbees
Dog frisbees are either soft or hard. Soft frisbees are not pillow-soft; they are classified that way depending on their material of build. Usually, soft frisbees are from foam, rubber, or nylon fabric, and they are most suitable for tossing around the yard. Furthermore, soft frisbees can flex, bend, and are more floppy than hard frisbees, and they are ideal for beginners and experts at throwing.
However, soft frisbees do not glide like hard frisbees, and most rubber frisbees are heavy and fall faster. The downsides to soft frisbees are that they can show drool marks, are less accurate than hard frisbees and don’t glide for long distances. Nevertheless, soft frisbees are affordable, can withstand dog bites, and they are commonly affordable.
Hard frisbees, on the other hand, are generally from plastic material. They travel farther, are more accurate, and float better than other types of frisbees. Usually, professional tournaments make use of plastic frisbees because of their long distances.
However, hard frisbees wear out faster than soft frisbees because they can’t withstand heavy dog bites. Also, dogs with strong bites can quickly leave teeth marks or even pierce hard frisbees. Another downside to hard frisbees is that at full speed, the sharp edges can injure your dog.
It is advisable always to inspect your frisbees and dispose of them once they wear out. Also, when purchasing hard frisbees, look out for bite-resistant or puncture-resistant frisbees.
Are There Indestructible Frisbees?
After noting hard or soft frisbees, you may wonder if there is any indestructible frisbee. Well, there is no indestructible frisbee disc, especially if your dog loves chewing. Chewing causes wear and wear affects a frisbees performance. It is best to use frisbees as a fetch toy only. You can purchase chew toys for your dog instead. Check out the best indestructible dog toys here
You may be interested in the following articles;
The 10 Best Dog Frisbee Discs in 2021 are Reviewed Below
This section discusses the ten best frisbee discs in no particular order. Kindly read on for more information.
Chuckit Zipflight Dog Toy
The Zipflight dog toy is a lightweight frisbee with an aerodynamic design from Chuckit. The frisbee can fly high for long-distance games like fetch. Also, the frisbee is excellent for playing and bonding with your pets, and there’s no restriction to playing in parks. You can also play fetch in pools because of Frisbee’s buoyant design. Another notable feature of the Zipflight Frisbee is the bright, vibrant color that makes it easy to spot tall grasses from long distances.
Furthermore, the Zipflight frisbee has a soft rubber reinforced edge design that is soft on dogs’ mouths and comfortable to carry. Multilayer dense canvas material is also used for building the Frisbee to ensure its durability and give you a long-lasting playtime. The polyester canvas build is also easy to clean and maintain.
- Lightweight, aerodynamic design
- Buoyant design
- Bright color design
- Dense canvas material
- Polyester build
- Rubber reinforced edge
- Brand: Chuckit
- Color: Assorted
- Size: Medium
- Dimensions: 11.75 × 8.25 × 1.11 in
- Weight: 4.6 oz.
- The Zipflight frisbee has a lightweight and aerodynamic design that allows it to fly high for long distances during games of fetch
- The frisbee is buoyant and can float on water, allowing you play even in pools
- The bright and vibrant color design increases the Frisbee’s visibility, allowing you to spot it in tall grasses or from long distances
- The frisbee is built with a dense multilayer material, making it durable and allowing your dog to enjoy a long-lasting playtime
- The soft rubber reinforced edge is gentle on dogs’ mouths and allows comfortable carrying
- The frisbee also has a polyester canvas build that is easy to clean and wash off
- Purchasing this frisbee allows you to play and bond with your pets
- The frisbee is available in assorted bright colors to suit your preferences
- The Zipflight frisbee is slightly heavier than a standard frisbee; therefore, it may not fly well
- The frisbee cannot withstand continuous chewing and biting
Ruffwear Pacific Ring Dog Toy
Strengthen the bond between you and your pets with this Ruffwear pacific ring dog toy. The frisbee gives room for different play preferences, especially for active fetchers and tuggers with its versatile design. The frisbee has a sockeye red color that is easily spotted. In addition, the frisbee has an interactive design with a high tenacity rope that is trustworthy to play tug.
The pacific ring frisbee is flexible and has a flight-friendly shape. Also, the frisbee has a thoughtfully made dual shield rope and durable materials that can withstand the rigors of play. It is easy to maintain; all you need is hand wash with mild detergent and air dry. With its foldable design, the frisbee is easy to pack, allowing you to play on the go. Furthermore, the pacific ring is tested and tried; thus, it has a guarantee against defects in craftsmanship and materials.
- Versatile design
- High tenacity rope
- Flexible, flight-friendly shape
- Easy maintenance
- Durable materials
- Manufacturer guarantee
- Brand: Ruffwear
- Color: Sockeye Red
- Dimensions: 10.63 × 10.63 × 0.4 in
- Weight: 5.6 oz.
- The pacific ring dog toy is suitable for strengthening the bond between you and your pets
- The versatile design allows different types of play, including fetching and tugging
- The high tenacity rope gives the frisbee an interactive design that establishes a tug-worthy build
- The frisbee also has a flexible, flight-friendly shape
- The pacific ring frisbee is ideal for rewarding your dogs after training or for simply playing a game of tug, toss, or fetch
- The dual shield rope of the Frisbee is thoughtfully made with hard-wearing materials that can hold up the rigors of play
- The foldable design allows easy transport of the Frisbee
- The frisbee is easy to maintain. Simply hard wash using a mild detergent and air dry
- The pacific ring frisbee is tested and tried. There is a guarantee against defects in materials and craftsmanship
- The frisbee is available in two high visibility colors to suit your preferences
- The frisbee is not puncture-resistant
- Because it weighs more than a standard frisbee, the pacific ring frisbee is not a great flyer
Ruffwear Hydroplane Floating Disc For Dogs
The Ruffwear hydroplane floating disc is a frisbee that allows you to train and exercise your dog. The soft built of this Frisbee can boost your dog’s confidence. The Frisbee also has a buoyant design that allows it to float on snow and water, enabling all-year-round fun. In addition, the frisbee has an oversized ring design that is easy for your dog to pick up when playing fetch or tug.
Furthermore, the hydroplane floating disc has a buoyant foam material that floats on water, allowing easy retrieving. Also, the frisbee has a light and bright color that is easy to spot. Purchasing this frisbee assures you of durability due to its abrasion-resistant materials. Also, the material is firm enough to maintain its shape, and it is soft enough for dogs’ teeth and gums.
The Ruffwear hydroplane floating disc for dogs is lightweight and can fly high. It can also withstand even the most eager dogs and the most extended games of fetch.
- Soft material
- Oversized ring design
- Water-friendly and buoyant design
- Light and bright color
- Foam material
- Abrasion-resistant material
- Brand: Ruffwear
- Color: Aurora teal
- Size: Large
- Dimensions: 12 × 12 × 1.38 in
- Weight: 4 oz.
- The hydroplane floating disc has a soft material build that can boost your dog’s confidence during a game of fetch
- The frisbee can float on water and snow, allowing you and your dog play all year round
- With its oversized ring design, the frisbee is easy to pick up
- The hydroplane floating disc is suitable for training and exercising, especially with a game of tug
- The frisbee has a buoyant foam that makes it water friendly; it floats on the water surface, allowing easy retrieving.
- The light and bright color makes the frisbee highly visible for you and your dog
- The foam build of this frisbee is soft for dogs’ gums and teeth. It is also firm enough to maintain its shape
- The frisbee is durable. The abrasion-resistant material can withstand chewing
- The frisbee is suitable for very eager dogs and also for long games of fetch
- The hydroplane floating disc is lightweight and can fly high
- The frisbee is available in two highly visible colors and two sizes to suit your preferences
Hyper Pet Flippy Flopper Interactive Dog Toy
The Hyper Pet dog toy allows you to enjoy interactive play with your dog all year round. The frisbee is from soft rubber and durable nylon material, which is safe for dogs’ teeth. Furthermore, the frisbee can float on water because of its buoyant design, allowing play on the beach, pool, or lake.
In addition, the Flippy flopper comes in bright colors for high visibility, and it has a 9-inch diameter that is easy to transport. You can slide the frisbee in your beach bag, backpack, or picnic basket. Also, with its durable build, you can enjoy long-lasting outdoor play in the water, grass, or snow with your dog.
- Five patterns
- Soft rubber and nylon material
- Buoyant and durable design
- Bright colors
- All season interactive toy
- Brand: Hyper Pet
- Pattern: Classic
- Color: Multicolor
- Dimensions: 9 × 9 × 0.85 in
- Weight: 2.88 oz
- The flippy flopper is available in various patterns and colors to suit your preferences
- The frisbee is from soft rubber material and durable nylon to ensure long-lasting outdoor play
- Due to its buoyancy, the frisbee floats on water
- The frisbee is safe on dogs’ teeth
- It is suitable for exercising, training, and fitness
- You can use the frisbee for interactive play at the beach, lake, or pool
- The frisbee is lightweight
- It is available in bright colors for high visibility
- The flippy flopper has a 9-inch diameter that you can easily slide in your bag, allowing you to take the frisbee wherever you go
- You can use this frisbee all year round because it is suitable for play in the grass, on snow, or in water
- The Flippy flopper gets dirty easily
- It cannot fly long distances
Kong Flyer Flying Disc Dog Toy
The Kong flying disc is a frisbee suitable for large dog breeds between 30 and 65 pounds. With its rubber material, the frisbee is not only durable, but it is also safe on dogs’ teeth and gums. The material also delivers a dynamic rebound in case your dog misses an initial toss.
The frisbee is suitable for games of fetch, and it is available in several sizes. Purchasing the Kong flying disc ensures you get a satisfaction guarantee on manufacturer defects.
- Varying sizes
- Rubber material
- Dynamic rebound
- Kong satisfaction guarantee
- Brand: Kong
- Size: Large
- Color: Classic
- Material: Rubber
- Dimensions: 1.1 × 9 × 9 in
- Weight: 7.2 oz.
- The Kong flying disc is available in several sizes to suit your dog
- The rubber material increases the frisbee’s durability and is also safe for dogs’ teeth and gums
- The classic color is visible to both you and your dog’s
- The frisbee is suitable for large dogs weighing between 30 and 65 pounds
- The frisbee also has a dynamic rebound because of its material
- There is a Kong satisfaction guarantee that comes with this product
- It is suitable for games of fetch
- Due to its weight, the frisbee does not float on water
- The frisbee is not chew-proof. Avoid leaving it with dogs.
Hyperflite Jawz Dog Disc
Playing games of fetch is easier with the Hyperflite Jawz disc. The frisbee is recommended for outdoor use. It has state-of-the-art aerodynamics that allows the frisbee to fly high and long. With its Hi-Tech polymer material, the frisbee is durable and safe on dogs’ teeth and gums. Also, the frisbee has a patented grip surface that helps your dog catch easily.
In addition, the Jawz dog disc is competition approved. It is used as quality athletic equipment for home setting record distance throws. The frisbee is also puncture-resistant. Although it is not a chew toy, it is very tough and can withstand the gnashing of canine teeth. Also, the frisbee has a lemon-lime color that is highly visible, allowing you and your dog to spot the frisbee easily.
- State-of-the-art aerodynamics
- Hitech polymer material
- Patented gripping surface
- High visibility
- Professional athletic equipment
- Brand: Hyperflite
- Color: Lemon-lime
- Dimensions: 9.75 × 9.75 × 2.25 in
- Weight: 4.8 oz.
- The Jawz dog disc has state-of-the-art aerodynamics that allows it to set record distance throws
- The material is from hi-tech polymer, and it is soft on dogs’ mouths
- The patented gripping surface allows dogs to catch and holds on to the Frisbee in their mouths
- The Jawz dog disc is a professional quality athletic equipment, and it is approved for competitions
- The frisbee is puncture-resistant. It can withstand the gnashing of dog teeth more than other frisbee discs.
- The color gives the frisbee high visibility
- The frisbee is suitable for outdoor use
- The frisbee does not float on water
- It is not resistant to heavy chewing
Booda Tail-spin Flyer Dog Toys
The Booda frisbee disc is a flexible plastic disc that flies and floats. The frisbee can entertain your dog both in and out of the water, giving it long-lasting play. This frisbee is durable and is gentle on pets’ teeth and gums. In addition, you can use this frisbee for exercising and playing with your dog.
- Flexible dog disc
- Brand: Booda
- Material: Plastic
- Dimensions: 7 × 1 × 10 in
- Weight: 4.8 oz.
- The frisbee is made of plastic; it can fly long distances and also float on water
- Due to its flexibility, the frisbee can entertain your dogs both in and out of water
- The frisbee is durable
- The Booda dog toy is gentle on dogs’ teeth and gums
- The frisbee is safe for exercising and playing
- The Booda Tail-spin flyer dog toy is available in a pack of 3
- The frisbee is not suitable for large dogs
- The middle fabric of the frisbee is not durable
West Paw Zogoflex Air Dash Frisbee
The Zogoflex Air Dash is a high-flying frisbee disc from plastic material. The frisbee has an aerodynamic design that flies long distances. With its color, the frisbee is highly visible and easy to spot. There is a center hole in the frisbee that allows your dog to pick it up smoothly. Also, an outer shell surrounds a soft foam material, and it does not hurt dogs’ mouths.
Furthermore, the frisbee has an injected Zogoflex Air technology that gives the frisbee a satisfying and subtle squish that can delight dogs for several hours. Also, the air injection increases the frisbee’s durability because it won’t budge when dogs chew on it.
Purchasing this dog frisbee allows you to play in any terrain all year round. The frisbee is also easy to clean; place in the top rack of a dishwasher. You can also recycle the Zogoflex Air Dash through the manufacturers closed loop recycling program.
- Aerodynamic design
- Center hole
- Outer shell
- Zogoflex air technology
- Easy clean
- 100% manufacturer guarantee
- Brand: West Paw
- Material: Plastic
- Color: currant
- Dimensions: 7.87 × 7.87 × 1.57 in
- Weight: 9.5 oz
- The frisbee is floatable, allowing you play with your dog all year round
- The plastic material is high flying. It has an aerodynamic design that is easy to throw and fun to catch
- The center hole allows smooth pickup of the frisbee
- The frisbee is stable in the air, has a gradual descent and a fast flight
- The outer sheet surrounds a foam material, ensuring that the frisbee does not hurt dogs’ mouths
- The Zogoflex Air technology gives the frisbee a squish that is delightful to dogs
- The frisbee is available in several bright colors, making it easy to spot in all-terrain
- The Zogoflex Air Dash is recyclable
- Because of its air injection, the frisbee can withstand chewing, making it durable
- Maintaining this frisbee is relatively straightforward. Just place it in a dishwasher’s top rack
- The Zogoflex Air Dash is quite expensive
Ruffwear Hover Craft Flying Disc
The hover craft Flying disc is from foam material, and it is a high-performance frisbee suitable for games of fetch on land and in water. The frisbee is available in two sizes; small and large. The small-sized hover craft is 6 inches in diameter and is suitable for close games, while the large-sized hover craft is 9 inches in diameter and ideal for long distances. Your choice of size is dependent on your preferred game distance.
Furthermore, the hover craft frisbee is easy to maintain. Hand washing with a mild detergent and air drying is enough to keep the frisbee clean. The frisbee is reflective, and it has bright colors that are easy to spot. Additionally, the frisbees foam build maintains its shape while soft enough for dogs’ teeth and gums. Although the frisbee is from abrasion-resistant materials, please keep it away from your dog after interactive play to increase its durability.
- Several size options
- Two colors
- Easy clean
- Bright and reflective
- Foam material
- Abrasion-resistant material
- Brand: Ruffwear
- Material: Foam
- Size: Large
- Color: Blue atoll
- Dimensions: 2.36 × 2.36 × 0.47 in
- Weight: 8.8 oz.
- The hover craft Flying disc is suitable for playing fetch on land and in water
- The frisbee is ideal for long-distance games
- You can maintain the Frisbee easily by washing with a mild detergent and air drying
- The color is bright and reflective, making it easy to spot-
- The foam material maintains the frisbee shape while it is soft on dogs’ mouths
- The abrasion-resistant material improves the frisbees durability
- The frisbee is quite expensive
Chuckit Paraflight Flyer Dog Toy
The Paraflight Flyer dog toy is a blue-orange frisbee with an aerodynamic shape that can fly long distances. With its soft rubber edge, the frisbee is gentle on dog teeth and gums. Also, the frisbee has a strong multilayer nylon interior that is durable and can withstand extended outdoor play with your dog.
The Paraflight Flyer is available in small and large sizes to suit your dog. The frisbee is lightweight, and it descends gradually to allow your dog to catch it mid-flight. Due to its buoyancy, the frisbee can float on water. Also, its bright color improves its visibility on any terrain.
- Soft rubber edge
- Aerodynamic shape
- Nylon interior
- Several size options
- Brand: Chuckit
- Material: Nylon
- Size: Large
- Color: Blue/Orange
- Dimensions: 0.75 × 9.65 × 9.65 in
- Weight: 0.005 oz.
- The Paraflight Flyer is suitable for play in the yard or water
- The frisbee has a high-visibility color that prevents it from getting lost
- The frisbees soft rubber edge is gentle on dogs’ mouths
- The interior is from strong multilayer nylon, making it durable and able to withstand extended playtimes
- The aerodynamic shape can cover long distances, and it gradually descends to allow dogs to catch it mid-flight
- The frisbee is lightweight and can float on water, allowing you play all year round
- The Paraflight Flyer is suitable for large dog breeds
- The frisbee is not so durable, especially if your dog chews on it always
Buying Guide Questions
Below are answers to questions regarding dog frisbee disks. Kindly read on for more information.
Is playing Frisbee bad for dogs?
Frisbee is a high-impact sport that should be played safely and in moderation. Some long-term risks associated with intense frisbee chasing include disc disease, ligament injuries, and lumbar back pain. Intense and regular disc chasing can affect even highly active and athletic dogs adversely.
Can dogs catch Frisbees?
Yes. Dogs love playing with frisbees, but they need extra training to chase and catch frisbees.
Do dogs like Frisbees?
Dogs love balls and round things. However, they can’t catch balls midair. Frisbees have a design that allows dogs to fly over and hold onto them with their teeth.
What colors can dogs see?
Dogs have a dichromatic vision, and they can only discern blue and yellow. Other shades like red or green are perceived as gray.
How do you throw a frisbee to a dog?
Training your dog to catch a frisbee requires patience. You should get a minimum of two frisbee discs for the training. The first step in training your dog to catch a frisbee is to familiarize your dog with the frisbee. You can use the frisbee as a feeding dish for a week or play tug with your dog. Allow your dog to win and avoid ripping the frisbee out of your dog’s mouth.
The next step is to throw rollers at your dog. Roll the frisbee like a wheel towards your dog to help your dog transition from fetching balls to retrieving discs. Afterward, throw the discs in the air and alternate with rollers. This step requires a lot of patience. Start with short slow throws till your dog can catch the frisbee in the air. However, it may take up to 100 throws before your dog can catch the frisbee.
Can small dogs catch Frisbees?
Small dog breeds like Chihuahuas and dachshunds may not be able to leap and catch frisbees. However, they may be able to catch short, soft throws.
Can small dogs play fetch?
Yes. Small dogs may miss long throws, but they are highly energetic and love playing fetch.
Frisbees are a great way of exercising your pets. When purchasing frisbees, you should take note of your dog’s health, the frisbee’s color, and its durability. Also, to ensure your frisbee disc lasts long, use it only as a fetch toy.