Allergies occur when the immune system overreacts and attacks substances that it would usually tolerate. Dog food allergies happen when they react to food, especially proteins. When a dog ingests food, and the immune system identifies some ingredients as harmful, the body creates defensive antibodies to fight the food, causing allergic reactions. Often, food intolerance is mistaken food allergy. However, food intolerance only occurs when the dog’s digestive system finds it difficult to digest certain food ingredients. Food intolerance symptoms include bloating, flatulence, and diarrhea. On the other hand, food allergy symptoms include itching, nausea, hyperactivity, excessive licking, and rashes.
Dog Food Allergies
Food with certain ingredients can cause allergies for dogs. Common allergy-causing ingredients include beef, dairy, chicken, wheat, egg, soy, yeast, and corn.
Dog Breeds with Food Allergies
Any dog breed can develop food allergies. However, some breeds are more susceptible to food allergies than others. These breeds include Beagle, Terriers, Boxer, Bulldog, Dachshund, Cocker Spaniel, Maltese, Poodle, Retrievers, and German shepherds.
Best Dog Food for Allergies
Dogs may be allergic to different food sources. Some of the best dog food for allergies include;
- New Protein Sources: protein is the leading cause of food allergy in dogs. Substitute protein sources can reduce allergies. It is best to purchase dog food that uses new protein sources that your dog has not tried before. These new protein sources include kangaroo, fish, lamb, or venison.
- Limited Ingredient Dog Food: this type of dog food has just a single protein source and simple ingredients in their composition.
- Hypoallergenic Dog Food: this dog food contains hydrolyzed proteins split chemically into the essential amino acids. The amino acids are fundamental components that make allergens invisible to a dog’s immune system.
- Grain-free Dog Food: this type of dog food is especially suitable for dogs with allergies to grainy foods.
- Fish-based Dog Food: this type of dog food is an excellent protein source with nutrients that can reduce inflammation.
- Raw Dog Food: this type of dog food is all-natural. It is free from fillers and additives. Raw dog food is especially suitable for strengthening and improving a dog’s immune system and overall health.
Homemade Dog Food for Allergies
Before creating a special diet for your dog, it is best to identify and eliminate allergens. You can limit the ingredients your dog ingests and find out the reactions. Try out new protein sources like lamb or venison, and pair them with green, leafy vegetables like broccoli, kale, and spinach. For a non-vegetarian diet, you can add healthy carbs like brown rice, barley, oats, or rye.
Generally, the volume of food a dog needs is about 2.5% to 3 % of their weight. Also, avoids salt, sugar, pepper, or other seasonings in the dog’s diet. Also, serve dog food at room temperature and avoid using a microwave. In addition, it is essential to note that vet recommendations are necessary before starting a new diet with your dog.
How to Find the Right Dog Food for Allergies
Before changing your dog’s diet, it is best to know the ingredients that give your dog allergies. Afterward, purchase dog food without the ingredients and monitor your dog closely to notice new symptoms. Suppose you cannot isolate the allergy-causing ingredient. In that case, it is best to purchase food that does not contain old ingredients or hypoallergenic and limited ingredients dog food.
For more information on dog food and other accessories, check out the following articles:
The 7 Best Dog Food for Allergies in 2021 Are Reviewed Below
Below is a review of the seven best dog food for allergies in no order. Kindly follow through to select one that is most suitable for your dog.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Dry Dog Food
Blue Buffalo dry dog food is a high-protein dog food with salmon flavor; it is rich in carbohydrates, antioxidants, and essential vitamins and minerals. Dog food is suitable for building healthy muscles, strengthening teeth and bones, and providing energy for an active lifestyle. Natural ingredients such as sweet potatoes, peas, and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids present in this dog food make them nutritious and ideal for improving the dog’s immune system and improving their skin and coat health.
Furthermore, Blue buffalo dog food is one of the best dog food for dry, itchy skin. It is grain-free and has no preservatives, artificial flavors, chicken, soy, or common allergy-causing substances.
It is best to transition slowly with Blue buffalo dog food. Between days 1 to 4, introduce 25% of blue buffalo dog food and 75% of old dog food. Days 5 to 8 should have 50% of the new dog food and 50% of old dog food. For days 9 to 11, use 75% of new dog food and 25% of old dog food. Between days 12 and 14, transition entirely to Blue buffalo dog food.
The quantity of blue buffalo dog food suitable for your dog depends on the weight of your dog. When measuring, use a standard 8-ounce measuring cup. For dogs less than 15 pounds weight, ½ to 1 cup of dog food is ideal. Use 1 to cups for dogs between 16 and 25 pounds, to cups for dogs between 26 and 40 pounds, and to cups for dogs between 41 and 60 pounds weight. For dogs between 61 and 80 pounds, use to 4 cups of dog food and 4 to cups for dogs between 81 and 100 pounds. For dogs above 100 pounds, use cups of dog food and ½ cup for every additional 20-pound weight.
Other factors include age, environment, breed, and activity level. It is best to adjust food to suit body conditions, following vet instructions.
- 30% protein
- Dry food
- Salmon and grain-free flavor
- Essential vitamins and vital minerals
- Antioxidant-rich life source bits
- Natural ingredients
- No chicken, corn, wheat, or soy
- No artificial flavors or preservatives
- Brand: Blue Buffalo
- Flavor: Salmon
- Dimensions: 18.5 × 13 × 3 in.
- Weight: 11.14 lbs.
- Blue buffalo dog food contains 30% protein to satisfy the nutritional needs of your dog
- The food is dry, which makes it long-lasting
- The dog food contains real salmon, and it has healthy complex carbohydrates and antioxidant-rich blueberries
- The dog food contains essential vitamins and vital minerals
- Blue buffalo dog food is cold-formed to preserve its potency
- The Blue Buffalo dog food is suitable for building healthy muscles
- There is a balanced protein and carbohydrate profile that provides energy for a dog’s active lifestyle
- The dog food contains calcium and phosphorus that helps strengthen the teeth and bones
- There are omega 3 and 6 fatty acids present to enrich the skin and improve coat health
- Sweet potatoes and peas are among the natural ingredients present in this dog food
- The antioxidant life source bits enhances the immune system health and lifestyle needs
- Vets and pet nutritionists specially select the ingredients in this dog food.
- Buffalo dog food is available in several flavors and sizes
- The dog food is grain-free and especially suitable for adult dogs
- Buffalo dog food is quite pricey
Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach Dog Food
The Purina pro plan dog food is one of the best dog food for allergies and weight loss. The dog food is vet recommended, and it contains oatmeal, sunflower oil, live probiotics, and natural prebiotic fiber. The oatmeal is easily digestible, while the sunflower oil provides omega-6 fatty acids that improve the dog’s skin and coat. Furthermore, live probiotics are fortified for enhancing the immune and digestive systems. Also, the natural probiotic fiber nourishes essential bacteria for improved digestive health.
This dog food is a high-quality protein source, with salmon as its first ingredient. It is available in several formulas suitable for all dog sizes and breeds. Purina pro plan dog food is natural; there are no artificial flavors, colors, or poultry by-product meals. The dog food is grain-free, and it nourishes the dog’s total well-being. It is best to slowly transition your dog to get accustomed to this dog food. Purina pro plan offers a 60-day customer satisfaction guarantee on this dog food.
- Dry Food
- Live probiotics
- Oatmeal and sunflower oil
- Natural probiotic fiber
- Vet recommended
- No poultry by-product meal
- No corn, wheat, or soy
- No artificial flavors or colors
- 60 days customer satisfaction guarantee
- Brand: Purina Pro Plan
- Flavor: Salmon
- Dimensions: 5 × 20 × 24 in
- Weight: 30 lbs.
- The dog food is dry and long-lasting
- Purina pro plan dog food is available in two flavors
- It is fortified with live probiotics, which improve the digestive and immune system
- The dog food has oatmeal and sunflower oil. The oatmeal is easily digestible and gentle on the digestive system. At the same time, sunflower oil is rich in omega-6 fatty acid, which gives dogs healthy skin and coat.
- There is a natural probiotic fiber present in Purina pro plan dog food. It nourishes beneficial intestinal bacteria for improved digestive health.
- The dog food has real salmon as a first ingredient, making it a high-quality protein source.
- Purina pro plan dog food is vet recommended.
- It is available in several formulas to suit both adults and puppies of all breeds.
- The dog food is grain-free. There is no corn, wheat, or soy present
- There are no artificial flavors or colors
- There is a 60-day customer satisfaction warranty on this product
- Some reviewers complain that the dog food makes their dogs sick. It is best to transition slowly to allow your dog to adapt to the dog food.
Nutro Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
The Nutro limited ingredient dry dog food is one of the best dog food for environmental allergies; it is especially suitable for dogs with sensitive skin. There are about 10 key ingredients or less in this limited ingredient dog food. Nutro dog food has natural vitamins and minerals that are highly nutritious for dogs.
Nutro limited ingredient dog food does not contain allergy-causing ingredients; there is no chicken, beef, or dairy protein. Also, there are no artificial flavors, preservatives, or colors. The dog food is grain-free and is available in several nutritious recipes.
Transitioning dogs to Nutro limited ingredient dog food should be slow. Also, the quantity of dog food is dependent on their weight. Using a standard 8-ounce measuring cup, give dogs that are about 50 pounds weight cups and cups to 60 pounds dogs. For dogs that are 80 pounds, 100 pounds, and 120 pounds in weight, give 3, , and cups respectively. Furthermore, give dogs that are 160 pounds in weight cups and cups to 200 pounds dogs.
- 10 ingredients or less
- Natural flavors, vitamins, and minerals
- No chicken, beef, or dairy protein
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Brand: Nutro
- Flavor: Lamb and sweet potato
- Dimensions: 25 × 16 × 4 in
- Weight: 22 lbs.
- The dog food has lamb as its first ingredient, making it a source of high-quality protein.
- There are limited ingredients. The Nutro dog food contains 10 key ingredients or less in its composition
- The dog food has natural flavors, vitamins, and minerals, making it highly nutritious
- There is no chicken, beef, or dairy protein. It does not contain allergy-causing ingredients
- The dog food is grain-free; there is no corn, soy, or wheat.
- There are no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- Nutro dog food is available in several flavors
- The dog food is especially suitable for large breeds
- There is a 100% money-back guarantee for unsatisfied customers
- Nutro limited ingredient dog food is ideal for dogs with sensitive skin. It promotes a healthy, soft, shiny coat in dogs.
- Some reviewers complain that the dog food has a strong smell
- The Nutro Limited Ingredient dog food is pretty expensive
Wellness Simple Limited Ingredients Diet Dry Dog Food
Wellness simple limited ingredients dry dog food is one of the best dog food for allergies on chewy and Amazon. The dog food has a turkey flavor and is suitable for all breed sizes. Wellness dog food is highly digestible and features prebiotic fibers that promote digestive health. There are omega fatty acids present in Wellness dog food for nourishing the dog’s skin and coat.
This dog food is highly nutritious; it contains turkey, flaxseed, peas, and sweet potatoes. The turkey is a lean source of high-quality protein, and the flaxseed provides fiber and omega-3 acids. At the same time, the peas are high in antioxidants, and the sweet potatoes provide carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals.
Wellness limited ingredient dog food is a natural alternative; there are no additives, fillers, or preservatives. The dog food is grain-free; there is no corn or wheat present. Also, the dog food does not contain meat by-products, and it is suitable for dogs with dry skin, sensitive stomach, and itchy paws. Overall, wellness dry dog food is ideal for improving the dog’s skin and coat, providing energy, and supporting the immune and digestive systems.
It is best to transition when introducing wellness limited ingredient’s dog food slowly. Use 25% of this new dog food and 75% of the old dog food for the first day. On the third day, use 50% of both the new and old dog food. Use 75% of the new dog food and 25% of the old dog food on the fifth day. On day 7, use 100% of Wellness dog food.
Furthermore, use a standard measuring cup when giving your dog food. For dogs between 18 and 23 pounds weight use to cups and to cups for dogs between 24 and 45 pounds weight. Also, use to cups for 46 to 65 pounds dogs and to cups for 66 to 85 pounds dogs. For dogs weighing between 86 and 105 pounds, use 4 to cups and to cups for dogs between 106 and 125 pounds. For dogs weighing over 125 pounds, add a ¼ cup for every additional 10 pounds weight.
- Single high-quality proteins
- Highly digestible prebiotic fiber
- Omega fatty acids
- Healthy ingredients such as turkey, potatoes, flaxseed, and peas
- Vitamin A and E
- No additives or fillers
- No meat by-products
- No artificial color, flavor, or preservatives
- Brand: Wellness
- Flavor: Turkey
- Dimensions: 26 × 15 × 3.75 in
- Weight: 26 lbs.
- The wellness limited ingredient do food is available in three flavors
- This dog food is suitable for all breed sizes
- There are high-quality proteins present in this do food
- The prebiotic fiber is highly digestible and promotes digestive health
- There are omega fatty acids that nourish a dog’s skin and coat
- The dog food has turkey has the first ingredient; it is a lean source of high-quality protein
- The potatoes in the dog food are carbohydrates, and they also provide vitamins and minerals.
- Flaxseed provides fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. It also promotes healthy skin and coat
- The peas are high in antioxidants.
- Wellness limited ingredient dog food is ideal for supporting a dog’s overall body health. It also provides energy, supports the immune system, and promotes digestive health
- Dog food is a natural alternative. There are no fillers, additives, eggs, or dairy
- It is suitable for dogs with dry skin, itch paws, and sensitive stomach
- The dog food is grain-free. There is no corn or wheat present.
- Wellness limited ingredient dog food does not contain meat by-products, artificial preservatives, flavors, or color.
- Some reviewers complain that the dog food is hard
- It is quite expensive
Nature's Recipe Wet Dog Food
Nature’s Recipe wet dog food has a vegetarian flavor suitable for balancing dos nutritional needs. There are no artificial colors or preservatives, and the dog food is natural with added vitamins, nutrients, and minerals.
Nature’s Recipe dog food has sweet potatoes and salmon. Sweet potatoes provide dietary fiber that aids easy digestion. At the same time, salmon includes omega fatty acids that improve muscle and brain development. This dog food is a meatless alternative; it has peas and soy protein and highly digestive brown rice. When introducing this dog’s food, it is best to adjust feeding amounts to suit the dog’s weight.
- Vegetarian flavor
- Nutritious and balanced
- No artificial colors or preservatives
- No fillers
- Sweet potatoes and salmon
- Meatless alternative
- No corn or wheat
- 12 cans
- Brand: Nature’s Recipe
- Flavor: Vegetarian
- Dimensions: 12.9 × 9.12 × 4.12 in
- Weight: 9.9 lbs.
- The dog food is balanced. It is suitable for satisfying dog’s nutritional needs
- This dog food is natural; there are no artificial preservatives or colors.
- There are nutrients, vitamins, and minerals present
- Sweet potatoes provide adequate dietary fiber that aids digestion
- Salmon is a source of omega fatty acids that support dog’s muscle and brain development
- The dog food is suitable for improving dog’s skin and coat
- There is no corn or wheat present
- Nature’s recipe dig food is a meatless alternative
- There is a pea and soy protein source
- The dog food has brown rice, which is highly digestible and provides energy
- There is no corn or wheat present in Nature’s Recipe dog food
- There are 12 cans of wet dog food in a pack
- The dog food is pricey
- It contains soy which may cause allergic reactions for some dogs
- Some reviewers complain that the dog food is not always what they say it to be. There is more gravy than actual food.
- Some reviewers complain that they mix this Nature’s Recipe dog food with a portion of dry food to improve the taste for their dogs.
Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food
Hill’s science dry dog food is chicken-flavored. It has beet pulp and is highly nutritious, and fuels beneficial bacteria to improve digestive health. The dog food is highly digestible and is easy on the stomach. Vitamin E and omega-6 fatty acids are present for skin and coat nourishment. The Hill’s science dry dog food is vet recommended, and there are different kibble sizes to suit dog sizes. There is a 100% money-back guarantee.
When feeding dogs the Hill’s science dry dog food, use an 8-ounce standard measuring cup. Give ½ to cup daily to dogs less than 5 pounds body weight. For dogs that have 10lpounds weight, give ¾ to cup. Also, feed dogs to cups per 20 pounds of weight and to 3 cups for 40 pounds of weight. For 60 pounds body weight, give 3 to cups and to cups for 80 pounds of weight. For 100 pounds of weight, give to 6 cups.
- Chicken flavor
- Beet pulp
- Highly digestible
- Vitamin E and omega-6 fatty acid
- Vet recommended
- Varying kibble sizes
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Brand: Hill’s science diet
- Flavor: Chicken
- Dimensions: 19.75 × 16 × 5.75 in
- Weight: 30 lbs.
- The dog food is available in 3 different flavors
- There are several sizes
- The beet pulp is a nourishing, prebiotic fiber that fuels beneficial gut bacteria and supports balanced microbiomes
- The dog food is highly digestible. It is easy on the stomach
- Hill’s science diet dog food aids optimal nutrient absorption and easier stool pick-up
- There is Vitamin E and omega-6 fatty acid present for skin and coat nourishment
- The dog food is vet recommended
- There are different kibble sizes to improve chewing for different dog sizes
- The dog food optimizes digestive health
- There is a 100% money-back guarantee on the product
- This dog food is not recommended for puppies, pregnant, or nursing dogs
- Some reviewers complain that the dog food causes digestive issues for their dogs. Always check the ingredients before purchase.
Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Canine Food
The taste of the wild dog food is seafood flavored. It has a grain-free formula with sweet potatoes and peas. The dog food is highly digestible and gives enough energy for active dogs. The protein source is real salmon, which is smoked and roasted to provide an improved taste. There are vegetables and fruits as extra supplements and antioxidants. The dog food has a fatty acid blend that improves the dog’s coat and skin.
The dog food is natural; there is no artificial color, flavor, or preservatives. Also, there are no fillers, corn, or wheat. It is best to slowly transition when introducing the new dog food to help your dog get accustomed to it.
- Seafood flavor
- Grain-free formula
- Sweet potatoes and peas
- Vegetables and fruits supplements
- Fatty acid blend
- No corn or wheat
- No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- Brand: Taste of the Wild
- Flavor: Seafood
- Package Dimensions: 12.2 × 6.5 × 4 in
- Weight: 5 lbs.
- The dog food has a grain-free formula; there is no corn or wheat present
- There are sweet potatoes and peas for high digestion and energy to suit active dogs
- The salmon in the dog food is natural, roasted, and smoked, providing a lean protein source and optimal amino acid profile
- The vegetables and fruits supplements provide antioxidants
- There is a fatty acid blend in the dog food that improves dog skin and coat
- There are no artificial flavors, preservatives, or colors.
- Taste of the wild dog food is not suitable for puppies; it can be pretty difficult to chew
- The dog food is pricey
Buying Guide Questions
Below are answers to FAQs regarding food allergies in dogs. Kindly follow through for more information.
How can I tell if my dog is allergic to his food?
Food allergies can be present in dogs of any breed or age. Allergic reactions to food include itchy skin, gastrointestinal issues such as diarrhea and vomiting, skin rash, and weight loss.
What is the most common food allergy in dogs?
Common food allergy in dogs is proteins, especially beef, chicken, fish, soy, lamb, and eggs. Other common allergies include gluten and dairy products.
What will soothe my dog’s itchy skin?
Just like humans, dogs can also develop itchy skin. Home remedies for itchy skin include colloidal oatmeal baths, apple cider vinegar, baking soda, and aloe Vera. For a colloidal oatmeal bath, you can either purchase colloidal oatmeal or grind plain oats. Add the colloidal oatmeal to your dog’s bath. Oatmeal is non-toxic and has anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe itchy skin.
When using apple cider vinegar (ACV), mix equal volumes of water and ACV in a spray bottle. Afterward, spray itchy spots with the mixture. For baking soda, make a thick paste with 50% water and 50% baking soda. Apply the paste to itchy spots and rinse entirely after 20 minutes. The paste can dry out rashes and alleviate itching.
Aloe Vera is an effective healing agent; it can alleviate itching and soothe dog skin. You can purchase aloe Vera gel from stores or extract the gel from a plant. Afterward, apply the gel directly to itchy spots.
Can CBD oil help dogs with skin allergies?
CBD oil is a cannabis extract, and it is a natural substance for soothing skin allergies in dogs. The oil is safe, does not suppress the immune system, and is an effective anti-pain treatment.
What protein is good for dogs with allergies?
Common allergies for dogs include proteins. Nevertheless, some proteins are suitable for dogs with allergies. These proteins include lamb, rabbit, venison, and fish. It is important to note that dogs may develop allergies to these other protein sources. Therefore, it is best to monitor symptoms when using these proteins.
How quickly do food allergies show up in dogs?
Usually, dogs develop allergic symptoms within few minutes to two hours after ingesting allergic foods. Also, skin allergies may develop within six to 24 hours.
How do I know what my dog is allergic to?
Some symptoms develop after your dog eats allergic foods. You can identify food allergens if your dog develops symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, itchy skin, flatulence, and coughing after eating.
What are the symptoms of chicken allergy in dogs?
Your dog may develop symptoms including bald patches, hives, diarrhea, coughing, obsessive licking, and inflamed feet after eating chicken.
Dogs can develop allergies to foods that contain protein. It is best to visit a vet and eliminate the allergens from your dog’s diet. There are several types of dog food for allergies on the market, and it is imperative to purchase one that suits the dog’s health needs.