Dog’s oral health is essential. They can suffer from gum disease, bad breath, and even tooth loss. It is best practice to brush your dog’s teeth with specially formulated toothpaste at least three times a week and visit a vet often for professional teeth cleaning. Giving your dog dental chews not only satisfy their chewing needs but also helps cleans teeth and maintain oral health.
Why Should You Give Your Dog Dental Chews?
Maintaining canine oral health is essential. Like humans, dogs can suffer from oral health problems such as bad breath, plaque, tartar, swollen gums, and toothache. Therefore, you should give your dog dental chews because they are suitable for freshening breath. Dental chews can also remove plaque and reduce tartar buildup, improving teeth and gum health.
Types of Dog Dental Treats
Dog dental treats should reduce plaque and tartar in dogs. Some dog dental chews have the veterinary oral health council (VOHC) seal of approval. Most dental treats can be store-bought, while you can only purchase others through veterinarians. The types of dog dental treats include;
- Rawhide chews: these types of chews are from cow and horse hides. They can reduce plaque and tartar buildup. Although rawhide chews are the least expensive type of chews, they can present a choking hazard and also cause stomach irritation to dogs.
- Dental Chews and Bones: various manufacturers have their formulations for making healthy dog dental chews. These types of dog treats are fully digestible. However, they can be pretty expensive and cause allergies for certain dogs.
- Dog Dental Diets: dental diets have unique formulations for reducing plaque and tartar. They have a quality that scrubs the dog’s teeth and freshens breath. You can only purchase these types of treats through the veterinary market. They are not available in stores.
- Dog Chew Toys: chew toys are not edible. They can only help satisfy the chewing needs of dogs while scraping off tartar buildup, especially in hard to reach places
Things to Note Before Buying Dental Chews
There are several dental chews on the market with their formulations. You should note the following before buying dental chews;
- Purpose: there are several dental chews for training dog teeth and improving oral health. Veterinary oral health council, VOHC, approves dental chews that are healthy and suitable for enhancing canine oral health. Purchase dental chews that have VOHC approval to maintain your dog’s oral health.
- Size: dental chews have several sizes. you should purchase dental chews that correlate with your dog’s weight.
- Surface: dental treats have different surface appearance. Treats that are soft are ideal for both senior dogs and dogs with sensitive teeth. On the other hand, treats that are hard are suitable for aggressive chewers.
- Contents: Always check the ingredients list of dental chews before purchase. Some dogs have allergic reactions to certain ingredients. Also, check for treats with nutritious ingredients, vitamins, and minerals
How to Maintain Canine Oral Health
Dogs can also oral health issues like bad breath, tartar buildup, and bleeding gums. The following tips can help maintain your dog’s dental health;
- Brush Daily: brushing dog’s teeth every day can prevent oral health problems. Use a specially formulated dog toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean your dog’s teeth. First, allow your dog to get familiar with the toothpaste by sniffing. Then, brush teeth slowly in a circular motion. Ensure you brush each side of the mouth as well.
- Visit A Veterinary Dentist: regular examinations with a veterinary dentist can prevent oral diseases before they even develop. Veterinary dentists can monitor your dog’s oral health and also carry out professional teeth cleaning.
- Maintain a Healthy Diet: dry food is better than soft food for dogs. Dry food scrapes away tartar while soft food can stick to the teeth and cause plaque buildup.
- Include Dental Chews and Treats: dog chew toys and treats can scrape tartar and reduce plaque buildup. Some treats even clean dog’s teeth down to the gum line. Giving your dog dental treats every day can help improve their oral health.
You may be interested in the following articles:
Best Dog Diaper for Your Canine Friend
Best Odor Control Dog Shampoos
The 11 Best Dog Dental Chews for Canine Oral Hygiene in 2021 Are Reviewed Below
Below is a review of the best dog dental chews that improve canine oral health in no order. The review includes the important information of each dental chew. Kindly follow through to select one that suits your preferences.
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Dental Chewz
The Purina pro dental chewz are in dog treats form and have a seal of VOHC approval. The treats have a beef flavor, and they are suitable for adult dogs. The Purina pro dental chewz can reduce tartar and plaque and also clean the teeth and freshen breath. The treats are high in protein and low in fat; they are easily digestible and delicious.
Give adult dogs at least two treats daily to satisfy their chewing needs, reduce tartar, and keep their teeth clean. The treats should not be more than 10% of the dog’s daily food intake.
- Beef flavor
- VOHC approved treats
- High protein
- Low fat
- Case of 6
- Brand: Purina Veterinary Diets
- Package Dimensions: 10.51 × 9.29 × 8.78 inches
- Weight: 5 oz.
- The treats have a beef flavor that is appealing to dogs
- Purina pro dental chewz is VOHC approved, which makes it healthy for your dog
- It is easily digestible
- The treats have low fat and high protein to suit your dog’s dietary needs
- The dental chewz are long-lasting. It satisfies your dog’s daily chewing needs
- The treats are delicious
- Purina pro dental chewz are suitable for reducing plaque and tartar
- The treats clean dog’s teeth and freshens their breath
- It is ideal for adult dogs
- The treat has different sizes. Some treats are thicker than others
- Purina pro dental chewz are pricey
Greenies Original Teenie Natural Dental Dog Treats
Greenies Original dental treats are available in various sizes, and the teenie size is most suitable for small dogs. The treats are VOHC approved, and vets recommend them. The flavor is original, and the treats that are chewy that deep cleans teeth down to the gum line. The treats are delicious, nutritious, and easily digestible. Greenies Original dental treats are from natural ingredients with vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. The treats don’t break when dogs bite into them; it instead bends. They are suitable for fighting plaque and tartar and keeping the teeth clean. The teenie size is ideal for small dogs and little breeds between 5 and 15 lbs. weight.
Give dog one Greenies dental chew daily. Always provide fresh drinking water
- VOHC approved treats
- Vet recommended dog treats
- Small breed sizes
- 130 count
- Original flavor
- Natural ingredients
- Easy to digest
- Balanced recipe
- Brand: Greenies
- Dimensions: 5.13 × 8.13 × 7.75 inches
- Weight: 36 oz.
- The treats are healthy for dogs. They have VOHC approval
- Greenies are vet recommended
- They are chewy that can deep clean the mouth down to the gum line
- There are different sizes of Greenies dog treats. The teenie size is suitable for small dogs
- There are about 130 treats in a 36-ounce package
- Greenies treats are suitable for fighting plaque and tartar
- The treats don’t break when bitten. They rather bend
- The treats can clean teeth and maintain healthy gums
- Greenies are from natural ingredients. They have vitamins, nutrients, and minerals
- The treats can freshen breath
- They are easily digestible. Greenies dog treats have highly soluble ingredients
- The recipe is balanced, delicious, and nutritious
- Suitable for small breeds and little dogs between 5 and 15 lbs. weight
- Although suitable for small dogs, Greenies teenie treats are not ideal for dogs below 5 pounds weight or six months in age
Pedigree Dentastix Treats for Large Dogs
Pedigree Dentastix treats are suitable for large dogs. There are different flavors to suit your dog’s palette. Dentastix can clean teeth, freshen breath, and reduce plaque and tartar buildup. The treats have an X shape that can clean down to the gum line. Asking Dentastix to your dog’s dental care routine can promote their oral health.
Feed dogs one treat daily. Always make fresh drinking water available. Pedigree Dentastix treats are not suitable for dogs under 30 pounds weight
- Several flavors
- Teeth cleaning
- Plaque and tartar removal
- Unique X shape
- 32 treats
- Brand: Pedigree
- Dimensions: 3 × 8 × 8.3 inches
- Weight: 27.5 oz.
- The Pedigree Dentastix treats have several flavors that are appealing to dogs
- The treats can clean the teeth and freshen breath
- The treats can reduce plaque and tartar buildup
- Pedigree Dentastix treats have a unique X shape that can clean teeth down to the gum line
- There are 32 treats in a 27.5-ounce package
- Dentastix are suitable for large dogs
- The treats can promote canine oral health
- The treats are not suitable for dogs below 30 pounds weight
- The treats are pretty pricey
- Although Dentastix are healthy, they are not VOHC approved
Greenies Aging Care Dog Dental Treats
Greenies aging Care dental treats are available in three sizes to suit petite, large, and regular-sized senior dogs. There are 45 treats in a 27-ounce pack. The treats have a soft, easy-to-chew quality that cleans the teeth and gums. The ingredients are highly soluble and highly digestible. Greenies have antioxidants for immune support, and they can maintain healthy joints. The treats are from natural ingredients. They can freshen breath; Greenies dog treats are vet recommended. They have a 50% softer than other Greenies dental treats.
Feed your dog one dental chew per day. Greenies aging dental treats are not suitable for dogs below 5 pounds weight or six months age. Monitor dog adequately to ensure chewing of the treat. Gulping may be fatal. Make fresh drinking water available.
- Three size variations
- Natural ingredients
- 50% softer
- Vet recommended treats
- Breath freshener
- Brand: Greenies
- Dimensions: 4 × 9.5 × 11.5 inches
- Weight: 27 oz.
- There are three different sizes for large, petite, and regular-sized dogs
- The easy-to-chew feature can clean the teeth and gums
- Greenies Aging care dental treats is suitable for senior dogs
- The treats are from natural ingredients, vitamins, minerals, and nutrients
- Greenies aging care dog treats have antioxidants that improve immune support
- The Greenies aging care is 50% softer than other Greenies dental treats
- The treats are vet recommended, and VOHC approved. They are healthy for your dogs
- The treats are suitable for freshening breath
- The ingredients are highly soluble and easily digestible
- There are 45 treats in a 27-ounce package
- The treats can help maintain your dog’s healthy joints
- The treats are not suitable for dogs weighing less than 30 pounds or less than six months in age
- Greenies treats contain wheat. Some dogs have allergic reactions to wheat.
- The treats are not grain-free
Oravet Dental Hygiene Chews
Oravet dental chews are ideal for maintaining canine oral health. The chews are suitable for medium-sized dogs, and they have a delmopinol flavor. The treats are vet recommended and can fight mouth odor, plaque, and tartar buildup. In addition, the treats are highly soluble and easily digestible. The treats are VOHC approved, and there are 30 chews in a 33-ounce package.
Give your dog one dental chew daily at the same time after all meals are eaten. Make fresh drinking water available.
- 30 treats
- Delmopinol flavor
- Vet recommended treats
- VOHC approved
- Teeth cleaning
- Brand: Oravet
- Package Dimensions: 13.66 × 10.71 × 4.17 inches
- Weight: 33.3 oz.
- There are 30 treats in a 33-ounce pack to satisfy your dog’s needs for a month
- The delmopinol creates a barrier that prevents bacteria in the mouth
- The treats are vet recommended, and VOHC approved
- Oravet treats are ideal for cleaning teeth and freshening breath
- The treats can fight mouth odor and prevent plaque and tartar buildup
- The treats are tasty and easily digestible
- It is suitable for medium-sized dogs above six months of age
- The treats are not suitable for dogs below six months of age
- Check the ingredients list to check if your dog has allergic reactions
Purina DentaLife Dog Chew Treats
Purina DentaLife treats are nutritious treats with a chicken flavor that is attractive to dogs. The treats are suitable for large breeds, and there are no artificial flavors or colors present in the treats. Purina DentaLife treats have ridges and air pockets, making them ideal for cleaning dog teeth down to the gum line. The treats have a chewy and twisted design; they fight bad breath and prevent the buildup of plaque and tartar. The treats are VOHC approved, and they come in a resealable pouch to prevent freshness.
Feed Purina DentaLife treats to dogs. Treats intake should not be more than 10% of the dog’s total calorie intake. Monitor dog to ensure proper chewing. Gulping can be harmful o dogs. Always provide fresh drinking water. Purina DentaLife treats are not suitable for puppies less than a year old or adult dogs less than 15 pounds in weight
- 60 treats value pack
- No artificial flavors or colors
- Chicken flavor
- Nutritious and balanced treats
- Eight distinct ridges and thousands of air pockets
- Chewy and twisted design
- VOHC approved
- Resealable pouch
- 60 days warranty
- Brand: Purina DentaLife
- Package Dimensions: 14.96 × 12.91 × 6.57 inches
- Weight: 78.6 oz.
- The value pack saves cost
- The treats are healthy, and VOHC approved. There are no artificial flavors or colors
- The chicken flavor is attractive to dogs
- The treats are nutritious and have balanced ingredients
- The ridges and air pockets easily clean the teeth, reaching down to the gum line
- The treats have a chewy design that cleans dog’s teeth
- Purina DentaLife treats come in two 30-count resealable pouches. Resealing helps keep the treats fresh
- There are a 60 days satisfaction warranty.
- The treats can fight bad breath and reduce plaque and tartar
- Some reviewers complain that some ingredients caused allergic reactions for their dogs
Whimzees Brushzees Small Natural Dog Treat
Whimzees dog treats are from natural ingredients. They have a vegetable flavor, and they are suitable for improving canine oral health. The treats are available in several sizes to suit extra small, small, medium, and large-sized dogs. The small size is suitable for dogs between 25 and 25 pounds weight. Whimzees treats have gluten-free and hypoallergenic ingredients, with no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. The treats are vet recommended, and VOHC approved. Whimzees treats are easily digestible, and they can clean dog’s teeth, freshen breath and reduce plaque and tartar.
Give one Whimzee dog treat to your dog daily. Monitor the dog to ensure chewing. Gulping may be harmful or fatal. Always provide fresh drinking water. Whimzees small dog treats are not suitable for dogs below nine months or less than 15 pounds.
- Vegetable flavor
- Various sizes
- Easily digestible
- Natural, gluten-free ingredients
- No artificial flavors or colors
- Vet recommended
- VOHC approved
- Brand: Whimzees
- Dimensions: 3.5 × 7 × 10.8 inches
- Weight: 12.8 oz.
- The treats have vegetarian ingredients and a vegetable flavor
- There are various sizes to suit extra small, small, medium, and large-sized dogs
- The treats are easily digestible
- The ingredients are natural, gluten-free, and hypoallergenic
- There are no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Whimzees dog treats are vet recommended, and VOHC approved
- There are 24 treats in a 12.8-ounce pack
- The treats can easily clean teeth, freshen breath, and reduce plaque and tartar
- Check the ingredients list. Some reviewers complain about their dogs having allergic reactions to the treats
Tartar Shield Soft Rawhide Treats
Tartar Shield dental treats are soft treats with a formula suitable for cleaning teeth and reducing bacteria. In addition, they can freshen breath and prevent plaque. Tartar treats have a bacon flavor that attracts dugs, and the soft rawhide surface is easy to chew, and they are gentle in the teeth and gums. The treats are delicious, healthy, and have VOHC approval.
Feed dog one dental treat daily. Ensure dogs chew the treats to prevent gulping, which may lead to fatal incidents. Always provide fresh drinking water.
- Bacon flavor
- Soft Rawhide surface
- VOHC approved
- Small breeds
- 12 count
- Brand: Tartar Shield
- Dimensions: 1 × 5.2 × 8 inches
- Weight: 6.4 oz.
- Tartar Shield treats have a delicious bacon flavor that is attractive to dogs
- The soft Rawhide surface is easy to chew, and it’s gentle on the teeth and gums
- The treat is healthy. It has VOHC approval
- Tartar Shield treats are suitable for small breeds
- The treats have a formula ideal for cleaning the teeth and reducing bacteria
- Tartar Shield treats can freshen dog’s breath and prevent plaque
- There’s a count of 12 treats in one pack
- The treats are pricey
Milk-bone Dental Dog Treats
Milk-bone dental treats have a patented design that reduces tartar buildup and maintains healthy gums. The treats have unique nubs and ridges that clean the teeth, like toothbrush bristles. There are several sizes to suit the mini, small, medium, and large-sized dogs. Milk-bone treats are rawhide-free, and they have no artificial flavors. The treats are fortified with 12 vitamins and minerals, including calcium, for strong teeth and bones. There are five bags with six treats, each sealed for freshness.
Feed a treat to your dog daily as part of their diet. Reseal the pack to maintain freshness. Always ensure your dog chews the treats before swallowing and provide fresh drinking water. The Milk-bone dental treats large size are not suitable for dogs below 50 pounds weight or six months age
- Brushing chews flavor
- Patented design
- Several sizes
- Unique nubs and ridges
- No artificial flavors
- Sealed for freshness
- 12 vitamins and minerals fortified
- Five bags of 6 treats each
- VOHC approved
- Rawhide free
- Brand: Milk-bone
- Dimensions: 11.63 × 6.88 × 10.13
- Weight: 8.1 oz.
- The treats have a brushing chews flavor to attract dogs
- The patented design reduces tartar buildup and maintains healthy teeth and gums
- There are several sizes of Milk-bone dental treats to suit dog of different weights
- The treats have unique nubs and ridges that clean teeth like toothbrush bristles
- There are no artificial flavors
- The treats come in 5 bags of 6 treats each. The bags are sealed to maintain freshness
- Milk-bone treats are fortified with 12 vitamins and minerals, including calcium. They support strong teeth and bones
- The treats have a VOHC seal of approval. They are healthy and clinically proven to maintain canine oral health
- The treats freshen the dog’s breath through scrubbing action
- Milk-bone treats are rawhide-free. They are easily chewable
- Some reviewers complain that their dogs have allergic reactions to Milk-bone treats.
Virbac Veggiedent Tartar Control Dental Chews
Virbac dental chews have a three-way performance of cleaning teeth, freshening breath, and digesting easily. The treats are available in several sizes to suit X-small, small, medium, and large dogs. The treats have a unique Z-shape that scrapes off tartar in hard-to-reach places. Virbac dental chews are from plant-based ingredients, and they are gluten and animal protein-free. There are no artificial ingredients, and the dental chew has a VOHC seal of approval.
One dental chew daily is ideal for maintaining canine oral health. Always provide fresh drinking water.
- Medium size
- Three-way performance
- Unique Z-shape
- Plant-based ingredients
- VOHC approval
- Brand: Virbac
- Dimensions: 5.94 × 2.99 × 7.12 inches
- Weight: 22.7 oz.
- Virbac dental chews are available in several sizes to suit X-small, small, medium, and large-sized dogs
- The medium size is suitable for dogs between 22 and 66 pounds weight
- The dental chews have a three-way performance. They clean the teeth, freshen breath, and digest easily
- The chews have a unique Z-shape that can scrape away tartar in hard-to-reach places
- The ingredients are plant-based and free from gluten and animal protein
- Virbac dental chews have VOHC approval, and they are clinically proven to maintain canine oral health
- The treats are pretty expensive
- Some reviewers complain that their dogs have allergic reactions to Virbac dental chews.
Blue Buffalo Dental Bones
Blue buffalo dog bones are dental treats suitable for removing plaque and tartar buildup. The treats have wholesome ingredients like parsley, peas, and blueberries, which are easily digestible and long-lasting. The treats are in stick, and they help maintain healthy teeth and gums. Blue buffalo dog bones are wheat-free, and there are no artificial colors or preservatives.
Feed one dental bone to a dog daily. Monitor your dog to ensure chewing; gulping of treats may be harmful. The regular size treats are suitable for dogs between 25 and 50 pounds weight. Always provide fresh drinking water.
- Stick form
- High-quality ingredients
- Easily digestible
- Several sizes
- No artificial colors and preservatives
- Brand: Blue Buffalo
- Dimensions: 9 × 6.5 × 3 inches
- Weight: 12.5 oz.
- The treats are stick form and are long-lasting
- Blue buffalo dog bones are wheat-free and hypoallergenic
- High-quality ingredients make the treats nutritious and easily digestible
- There are several sizes of the treat to suit different dog weight
- There are no artificial colors or preservatives present
- Blue buffalo dog bones are suitable for maintaining healthy teeth and gums
- The treats can decrease plaque and tartar buildup
- Blue buffalo treats can also freshen dog’s breath
- Blue buffalo treats can be pretty expensive
- Some reviewers complain that their dogs finish up the treats in no time.
Buying Guide Questions
Below are answers to FAQs regarding dog dental chews. Kindly follow through.
What are the healthiest dental chews for dogs?
Veterinary oral health council (VOHC) approves products that pass their standards. For example, VOHC approved dental chews are certified to prevent plaque and tartar in dogs. Therefore, the healthiest dental chews for dogs should be VOHC approved. Some of the healthiest dental chews for dogs include Milk bone brushing chews, Greenies dental chews, Tartar shield soft chews, etc.
Why are Dentastix bad for dogs?
Dentastix treats are of different sizes to suit different dog sizes. Purchase Dentastix chews that suit your dog’s size and age. Large-sized treats for small dogs may cause choking
Do greenies actually clean dog teeth?
Yes. Greenies have a chewy quality that controls plaque and tartar buildup. When a dog chews greenies, the chewy quality allows maximum contact with the tooth, scraping and scrubbing the tooth surface.
What do vets recommend for dog chews?
Vets regularly work with dogs, and they have experience with the healthiest dental chews. The dental chews can fight bad breath and reduce plaque and tartar formation. Some of the best vets’ recommended dog chews include Yummy Combs dental treats, C.E.T Enzymatic chews, and Bow Wow bully sticks.
What can I give my dog instead of Dentastix?
There are several healthy dental chews on the market apart from Dentastix. Some healthy alternatives to Dentastix include Yakers Himalayan milk chews, NatuTripe bones, Go Native Dental Sticks, and Soopa dental sticks.
Can dental sticks make dogs sick?
Some dogs may not be able to digest certain treats. These treats may cause stomach upsets, diarrhea, or vomiting. Watch out for ingredients in dental sticks that may cause allergic reactions for your dog. Also, some dogs chew aggressively or swallow treats whole; this may cause choking. Supervise dos when having treats.
How often should I give my dog Dentastix?
Dental chews have directions of usage. However, it is best to get your dog Dentastix daily to protect its teeth and gums.
Dog dental chews are ideal for cleaning your dog teeth, removing tartar buildup, and freshening breath. You should note the size, purpose, consistency, and contents of a dental chew before purchase. This post reviews the best dental chews for promoting canine oral health. Kingly follow through to select one that suits your preferences.