Best Dog Recovery Collar and Cones Review
Dog collars, also known as Elizabethan collars (E-collars), are lamp-shade-looking cones that can reduce the licking and chewing of pets. Often, dogs lick their wounds to remove debris. Although this may not be a problem for minor injuries, licking may increase the severity of injuries and lead to severe problems. E-collars are suitable for restricting dogs from reaching wound sites, and they are especially ideal for post-surgery recovery
Types of E-collars
E-collars are of several designs, including;
- Rigid E-collars: are usually from semi-flexible plastic. They extend in front of the dog’s face and prevent licking of wound sites. Nevertheless, dogs may still be able to reach their front legs. Also, rigid collars can be uncomfortable for dogs and even block peripheral vision. It is also difficult for dogs to move around in this type of collar
- Flexible E-collars: although they are similar to rigid collars, flexible collars are from soft materials. Flexible collars are more comfortable and don’t cause pain when dogs bump into walls or furniture.
- Inflatable E-collars: this type of collars look like the neck pillows on airplanes. The collar is from comfortable material, and they are secured firmly with a strap. Unlike other collar types, inflatable dog collars do not block peripheral vision and are lightweight. However, they are not as effective as other collar types because dogs may reach wounds in certain locations.
Importance of E-collars
Below are the situations where E-collars are applicable;
- Wound recovery: E-collars are suitable after surgical procedures like spaying or neutering, and when dogs have large wounds. The collars are ideal for speeding up the healing process
- Allergies and skin issues: dogs tend to scratch and itch aggressively when they have allergies or skin problems. It is best to use E-collars to reduce itching and scratching while a vet finds the root cause of the problem.
- Repetitive licking: behavioral patterns can trigger dogs to lick an area repeatedly. Although E-collars can reduce repetitive licking, it is best to visit a vet to address the root cause.
- Vet recommendation: during visits to a vet, the vet provides an E-collar, usually the rigid type, and they also recommend using the collar. It is best to upgrade to a more comfortable kind of collar.
Dog Cone and Collar Alternatives
Although dog cones and collars are effective in preventing licking and chewing, some dogs hate them. There are effective alternatives on the market that are suitable for pets. The best dog cone alternative include;
- Bitenot collar: this collar is from a flexible-plastic and foam sleeve; it looks like a human neck brace, and it fits around the dog’s neck. The Bitenot collar restricts the movement of the dog’s neck and restricts chewing and licking on the rear portions of a dog’s body. The downside to this dog cone alternative is that dogs can still reach their face with their paws. It is best to remove this collar often because it can trap moisture under the dog’s skin and cause wounds.
- Optivisor: this is especially suitable for dogs with a facial injury. The Optivisor looks like a welding mask, and it has adjustable Velcro straps for a secure fit.
Homemade Dog Cone Alternatives
Dog cones and collars are not technological devices; they are not complicated and can be made from materials at home. Some homemade alternatives include;
- Bucket: this alternative requires cutting a hole in the bottom of a bucket and sliding it over the dog’s head. You can keep the collar in place by attaching it to the dog’s collar with zip ties. Always smooth any rough edges before use to prevent injuries
- Clothing: you can use old t-shirts, boxer shorts, and underpants to prevent dogs from licking and chewing their wounds. You can also wrap wound sites with an ace bandage or fabric.
- Paper plate: you can cut a hole in a paper plate and slide it over your dog’s head; this alternative is best for small dogs. Punch holes near the end of the plate for strings and attach it to your dog’s collar.
- Towel: you can fold a towel and wrap it around your dog’s neck. Secure the towel with a belt or string. Towel collars are comfortable, but they may not be able to prevent dogs from reaching their rear.
Things to Note before purchasing Dog Cones and Collars
- Adjustability: it is best to buy adjustable collars because you can get a fit that is not too tight or loose for your dog.
- Maintenance: dogs may throw up after surgery due to a medication or an accident. It is best to purchase dog collars that are easy to wipe or machine washable. Easy to clean collars can help prevent messes, infections, and foul smells.
- Comfort: although cones are suitable for speeding up a dog’s recovery, it is best to purchase comfortable cones because they do not increase the pain.
- Restriction: collars that do not restrict a dog’s ability to eat, sleep, and drink comfortably are the best for recovery.
- Durability: depending on the type of wound, dogs may need to use a cone for a long time. it is best to purchase durable collars.
- Storage: it is essential to store the cone for future purposes after a dog’s recovery. It is best to purchase collars that can be rolled rather than bulky ones.
Helping Your Dog Get Familiar with an E-collar
Most dogs hate using an E-collar. You can improve their experience with the collar by;
- Trying different collars till you find a suitable one
- Purchasing a perfect fit
- Introducing dogs to an E-collar before they need it
- Guiding dogs around for the first two days when they use the cone
This article discusses the nine best dog recovery collars and cones. Read on for more information.
You may also be interested in these similar articles;
The 9 Best Dog Recovery Collar and Cones are Reviewed Below
Below is a review of the best dog recovery collar and cones in 2021. Read on to see our top picks.
Comfy Cone Pet Recovery Collar
The comfy cone recovery collar is from nylon material. It has a hook and loop closure for easy wear and removal. The collar is suitable for preventing dogs from licking their wounds. Also, the cone can be reversed inside out and front to back to support the shoulder and upper back injuries. Unlike plastic cones, the comfy cone recovery collar is soft and comfortable for pets; the collar features a unique design that conforms to doorways, pet doors, and furniture.
Comfy cone pet recovery collar has removable stays for structure when used and for softness when not used. There are elastic loops at the neck for threading slim leashes. The collar has a reflective edge, and the material is water-resistant and easy to clean.
- Variable sizes
- Hook and loop closure
- Water-resistant, Nylon material
- Black color
- Elastic loops at the neck
- Reversible use
- Removable stays
- Reflective edge
- Vets tested and approved
- Brand: All Four Paws
- Size: Large
- Dimensions: 18 × 1.5 × 10 inches
- Weight: 7 oz.
- The recovery collar is available in various sizes to suit pets
- The hook and loop closure gives an adjustable and secure fit
- The collar has a foam-backed padded nylon material that is water-resistant and easy to clean
- The comfy cone pet recovery collar is available in 2 colors
- There are elastic loops at the neck of the cone that allows threading of slim leashes or gauze strips
- The cone is reversible. It is suitable for use inside out and front to back to support the upper back and shoulder injuries
- There are removable stays that make the collar easy to fold back during eating and drinking. Also, the stays give the collar structure, and when removed, they give the collar a soft texture
- The collar has a reflective edge for safety
- Vets approve and recommend the comfy cone pet recovery collar
- The collar has a unique design that reduces bumps with doorways, furniture, and pet doors
- The Comfy cone recovery collar is one of the best dog cones for eye surgery. It is soft and helps pets recover from allergies, surgeries, and procedures in the comfort
- The cone has Velcro for tight and secure closures. The Velcro also makes the cone easy to remove
- The collar is quite expensive
- Some reviewers complain that the black interior affects their dog’s peripheral vision.
Kong EZ Soft E-collar for Dogs
The Kong E-collar is an X-small recovery collar suitable for both cats and dogs; it is from pliable fabric. It has a soft feel that does not scratch furniture. There is a drawstring for easy adjustment, and the collar is ideal for pets with injuries and rashes. There is also a satisfaction guarantee that covers manufacturers’ defects.
- X-small size
- Pliable fabric
- Soft feel
- Satisfaction guarantee
- Drawstring collar
- Variable collars
- Brand: Kong
- Size: X-small
- Dimensions: 10 × 4 × 10 in
- Weight: 0.798 oz.
- The collar is suitable for X-small pets
- The fabric is pliable and comfortable
- The collar has a soft feel that does not scratch furniture; it is also easy to wear
- There is a guarantee that covers manufacturer defects
- The collar has a drawstring for an adjustable fit
- Kong E-collar is available in variable colors
- The collar is ideal for dogs post-surgery. Dogs with rashes and injuries can also use this collar
- The collar is only available in X-small size
- Some reviewers complain that the fabric is difficult to wash
Vivifying Pet Cone
The Vivifying Pet Cone is a soft E-collar that protects pets post-surgery and injuries. The cone has smooth, comfortable flannel sides, and it is from lightweight, durable PVC material. There are three adjustable snaps on the cone for a better fit. There is a customer satisfaction guarantee, and the cone is available in two colors
- Soft flannel sides
- Lightweight PVC material
- Adjustable snaps closure
- Customer satisfaction guarantee
- Brand: Vivifying
- Size: Small
- Package Dimensions: 15.12 × 10.71 × 0.75 in
- Weight: 1.7 oz.
- The cone has soft flannel sides that are comfortable for pets
- The collar is from a lightweight and durable PVC material
- There are three adjustable snaps to suit pets
- It is easy to maintain this E-collar. It is easy to wash
- There is a customer satisfaction guarantee
- The collar has soft flannel rims for extra comfort
- It is suitable for small dogs and cats
- This pet cone is suitable for protecting pets post-surgery and during injuries
- Some reviewers claim that the Vivifying pet cone is not stiff enough.
In Hand Adjustable Pet Recovery Collar
The In Hand pet recovery collar is a lightweight E-collar from PVC material; it has a padded inner liner and soft velvet sides for improved comfort. The collar has Velcro and button closure for convenience, and it allows pets to sleep and eat normally. This pet recovery collar is vet-recommended. It stops pets from licking or scratching their wounds. It is also stress-free and comfortable.
In hand, the pet recovery collar has a soft, elastic cloth edge. It is clear and transparent, and the cone does not scratch or scrape furniture. The recovery collar is available in various sizes to suit pets. It is suitable for bathing, trimming, and post-surgery recovery.
- Lightweight PVC material
- Padded inner liner
- Velcro and button closure
- Soft fabric
- Vet recommended recovery collar
- Soft and elastic cloth edge
- Clear and transparent collar
- Several sizes
- Two-color options
- Brand: In hand
- Size: medium
- Package Dimensions: 17.36 × 12.17 × 1.18 in
- Weight: 2.89 oz.
- The recovery collar is lightweight and from PVC material which makes it durable
- There is a padded inner liner and soft velvet sides for extra comfort
- The collar has a Velcro and button closure for an adjustable and perfect fit
- The fabric is soft, and if allows pet eat and sleep normally
- In hand pet recovery coat is vet-recommended, and it stops pets from scratching and licking their wounds
- The collar has a soft and elastic cloth edge that allows the laying of the head comfortably
- The recovery collar is clear and transparent. It allows easy visibility and prevents anxiety for pets.
- The collar is available in various sizes to suit pets
- It is also available in two colors
- The collar is stress-free and comfortable
- It does not scrape or scratch furniture
- The collar is suitable for bathing and trimming pets and also for post-surgery recovery.
- Some reviewers complain that the collar is not a perfect fit. It is best to follow the measurement guide before purchasing a collar for pets.
Supet Adjustable Pet Recovery Collar
The Supet Adjustable collar is from cotton flannel and high-quality PVC material; it is lightweight and non-toxic. The collar is durable, and it has a hook and loop design that gives a secure fit. There is an extra soft fabric edge for extra comfort. The collar uses a button closure for easy tightening and loosening.
Supet Adjustable Pet Recovery collar is suitable for protecting pets post-surgery and from licking and scratching injury sites. The collar is easy to clean, and it has lifetime assurance.
- Cotton flannel
- PVC material
- Hook and look design
- Lifetime assurance
- Extra soft fabric edge
- Button closure
- Easy to clean
- Variable sizes
- Brand: Supet
- Size: Large
- Package Dimensions: 12.8 × 4.25 × 4.13 in
- Weight: 7.4 oz.
- The collar has a cotton flannel and is from PVC material; it is lightweight and comfortable
- The hook and loop design provides a secure fit for pets
- There is a lifetime assurance on the product
- The extra soft fabric edge provides extra comfort for pets
- There is a button closure that allows easy tightening and loosening
- The collar is easy to clean
- Supet pet collar is available in several sizes to suit pets
- The collar is durable and protects pets post-surgery.
- Some reviewers complain about wrong sizing. It is best to refer to the size chart before purchase for a perfect fit
- Some reviewers also complain that the collar is not sturdy enough
Sungrow Soft Dog Cone
The Sungrow Soft Dog cone is a soft polyester blend cloth filled with plush cotton; the cone is soft and comfortable. The dog cone is black, with white ruffles around the edge. This cone has a hook and loop fastener for an adjustable fit and secure closure; it is easy to fasten and loosen. One of the advantages of the Sungrow cone is that it doesn’t crack or break like plastic, and it is comfortable for pets to lie down comfortably in it.
Sungrow Soft Dog cone is reversible; it can be used in two ways. The cone is vet recommended and is resistant to pets biting, scratching, or water spillage. It is easy to clean this dog cone, and the cone is especially suitable for large breeds. Kindly refer to the product sizing info before purchasing an appropriate cone size.
- Soft polyester blend cloth
- Black color
- White ruffles at the edges
- Hook and loop fastener
- Vet recommended
- Machine washable
- Heavy-duty stitching
- Brand: Sungrow
- Size: Large
- Package Dimensions: 12.2 × 8.07 × 1.85 in
- Weight: 2.89 oz.
- The cone is comfortable. It is from soft polyester fabric with plush cotton filling
- This cone is black with white ruffles along the edge
- Due to its material, the cone does not crack or break like plastic
- The cone has a hook and loop fastener for an adjustable and secure fit
- It is easy to fasten and loosen the cone
- Pets can lie down comfortably in this cone
- Sungrow soft pet cone is reversible.
- Vets recommend this cone especially for post-surgery recovery
- The cone is machine washable and easy to spot clean
- There is heavy-duty stitching around the cone for durability
- Sungrow dog cone is suitable for large breeds
- The high-quality materials of the cone are resistant to pet biting, scratching, and water spillage
- Some reviewers complain that the size runs small
Total Pet Health E-collar for Dogs
The total pet health E-collar is from polypropylene plastic; the collar is clear and does not restrict vision. There are plastic snaps and coordinating holes for an adjustable and secure fit. Total pet health E-collar is suitable for dogs and cats, is vet-approved, and available in several sizes. It is easy to maintain this collar by washing it with a damp cloth
To use this E-collar, loop the gauze through the oval holes near the neckline to secure the E-collar.
- Polypropylene plastic
- Vet approved
- Plastic snaps and coordinating holes
- Several size options
- Two-color options
- Easy maintenance
- Brand: Total pet health
- Size: Large
- Dimensions: 19 × 0.1 × 6 in
- Weight: 4 oz.
- The collar is from polypropylene plastic which is non-toxic and lightweight
- Vets recommend this collar for post-surgery recovery and for preventing pets from licking and scratching their wounds
- The plastic snaps and coordinating holes give a secure, adjustable fit
- There are several size options to suit pets
- The collar is available in two colors; it is easy for pets to see from side to side in this collar
- It is easy to maintain; a damp cloth is suitable for washing this collar.
- The collar is suitable for both cats and dogs
- Some reviewers complain that the collar is not durable
Felicey Adjustable Dog E-collar
The Felicey dog E-collar has a professional design suitable for both small and large dogs. The material is top grade; it is from PVC and Italian artificial leather serging. This collar is non-toxic, harmless, sturdy, and lightweight. The design is clear and see-through; it does not hinder pets’ peripheral vision. There are safe padded edges for extra comfort, and the collar is easily adjustable. The Felicey dog E-collar is suitable for use during bathing, trimming, and post-surgery recovery. It is best to measure the dog’s neck size to get the perfect fit.
- Top grade material
- Clear, see-through design
- Adjustable sizing
- Padded edges
- Several size options
- Brand: Felicey
- Size: small
- Package Dimensions: 7.2 × 3.11 × 3.07 in
- Weight: 3.2 oz.
- The E-collar is from top-grade materials like PVC and Italian artificial leather serging.
- The collar is harmless, non-toxic, lightweight, and sturdy
- There’s a clear, see-through design that does not hinder vision
- The sizing is adjustable to suit both large and small dogs
- The padded edges are safe and provide extra comfort
- There are several size options to suit dog sizes
- The collar is suitable for bathing, trimming, and also during post-surgery recovery
- Some reviewers complain that the cone is not durable
- The advertising stickers are pretty difficult to remove, according to some reviewers.
Petbaba Recovery Collar
Petbaba recovery collar is a transparent, lightweight collar with a linear structure. The collar has a padded inner liner and a button closure for comfort and a secure fit, respectively. Petbaba recovery collar allows pets to sleep and eat normally, and it does not block vision. The collar is adjustable, suitable for post-surgery recovery, and is one of the best for cats and small dogs.
- Small and medium-size options
- Padded inner liner
- Button closure
- Transparent, lightweight PVC
- Adjustable collar
- Two-color options
- Brand: Petbaba
- Size: medium
- Package Dimensions: 15.1 × 10.5 × 0.3 in
- Weight: 0.64 oz.
- The collar is suitable for small dogs and cats; it is available in small and medium sizes
- The padded inner liner is comfortable and allows pets to sleep and eat normally
- The button closure gives a secure fit
- The collar is lightweight and from PVC. It is also transparent and does not block peripheral vision
- The collar is adjustable to suit pets
- There are two available color options; blue and rose
- It is suitable for post-surgery recovery and preventing itches and scratches.
- Some reviewers complain that the collar is not a perfect fit.
Buying Guide Questions
This section answers questions about dg recovery collars and cones. Kindly follow through.
What can I put on my dog instead of a cone?
Although dog cones are suitable for protecting your dog after surgeries, cones are not usually convenient. In addition, improper fitting of cones can cause difficulty when eating or drinking. Nevertheless, there are dog cone alternatives that you can improve your dog’s comfort. Some of the best dog cone alternatives include soft collars, flexible fabric E-collars, inflatable collars, and onesies or clothing.
How do you keep a dog from licking a wound without a cone?
Dogs lick wounds to reduce pain or irritation. Although minor licking may not cause any damage, excessive licking can delay healing, reopen wounds, remove stitches, and even cause infections. If your dog is not a fan of cones, other alternatives are suitable for keeping your dog from licking its wounds. These alternatives include surgical recovery suits, onesies, t-shirts, boots, and anti-lick sprays.
Is there an alternative to a buster collar?
Yes. Alternatives to buster collar include soft e-collars, neck control collars, inflatable collars, surgical recovery clothing, or a DIY jacket
Should dogs sleep with cones on?
Dog cones speed up recovery and prevent post-surgery complications. Most dogs adjust to sleeping with a cone within 24 hours. It is best to get a soft, comfortable cone that allows your dog to sleep comfortably.
Can I put a shirt on my dog instead of a cone?
Yes. You can make a jacket for your dog out of an old t-shirt to cover wounds and scars. Ensure the jacket fits snugly.
What to do if a dog can still lick with a cone?
The cone is most likely too small for your dog. Purchase cones that are the right size for your dog. You can also roll a towel, wrap and pin it around your dog’s neck and place the cone over it. The towel helps in pushing the cone up about two inches.
What can I put on my dog’s wound to keep him from licking it?
You can cover a dog’s wound with a bandage, a boot, or an anti-lick strip or spray. Bandages keep wounds out of the dog’s sight and also speed up healing. Ensure that the dressing is not too tight around the wound and change bandages often, especially when wet. Boots are only suitable for leg wounds. When purchasing dog boots, ensure they fit correctly. You can buy anti-lick sprays from pet stores and vets. Anti-lick sprays are easy to apply. Anti-lick sprays with natural ingredients are the best because they have limited side effects.
How do you make a dog comfortable with a cone?
Using a cone for the first time may be uncomfortable for your dog. You can make your dog more comfortable with cones when you purchase the right fit for them. You can also infuse a calming component such as calm paws calming gel patch to ease your dog’s recovery.
Can you use a muzzle instead of a cone?
The purpose of a cone is to stop dogs from licking their wounds which may cause irritation or infections. Using a muzzle can stop a dog from licking its wounds. However, muzzles can inhibit eating and drinking or even irritate a dog’s allergic skin.
Are inflatable collars better than cones?
Inflatable collars are more comfortable than cones. They are not as stiff as dog cones, and they allow dogs to sleep, eat, or drink comfortably without hindering vision. However, inflatable collars may not effectively block access to all body parts. Some dogs can still reach their paws even with inflatable collars.
Does Tractor Supply sell dog cones?
Yes. Tractor supply sells dog cones in several sizes.
The best dog recovery collars are comfortable and ideal for preventing dogs from licking and scratching wound sites. These collars are helpful for dogs with allergies, skin problems, and post-surgery recovery.