The Siberian Husky is a medium-sized dog breed that belongs to the Spitz genetic family. This breed is easily recognized by its thick furred double coat, standing triangular ears, and distinctive markings. The breed is smaller than the Alaskan Malamute. Also known as Chukha, or husky the breed is very intelligent friendly, and outgoing. They are also known to be very energetic and very fast, they can run up to 30 miles per hour. With incredible stamina, the dog can run up to 150 miles in a day. Its bite force is estimated to be 320 pounds and it mostly howls rather than bites.
These athletic dogs like being independent therefore they usually challenge first-time dog parents, they also like escaping which is why you need to have a high fence to prevent them from escaping. Keeping your Husky entertained and enough exercise will reduce boredom and stubborn behaviors. Like any other dog breed, Siberian Huskies have their advantages as well as their disadvantages. Let’s look at some of them below:
Advantages and Disadvantages of Owning Siberian Huskies
Siberian Huskies are loved by many as they have a beautiful furred thick coat, they have the look of wolves and beautiful glacial blue eyes. All these features combined to make them one of the most loved dog breeds. However, Siberian Huskies aren’t bred for anyone as they require good experience, research, understanding of the breed, and patience because the breed can sometimes be stubborn. Here are some pro’s of owning Huskies
Advantages of owning Siberian Huskies
- They are independent and free-spirited
If you’re the type that doesn’t like your dog to always be in your space, then the Nigerian Husky is the perfect breed for you. Mushers for example like the breed during inclement weather because they seem to be okay as long as they are with their pack, they don’t need to have close contact with their masters.
Once they are matured, the breed is very dignified, free-spirited, reserved, and very friendly as they were defined by the American Kennel Club [AKC]
- They are good-natured
The breed is very good-natured, they were described as being equipped with an acceptable and friendly temperament. They are very gentle, peaceful, and intelligent and they are very eager to work. Their good nature didn’t stop to their owners only, it extends to strangers and other dog breeds.
The American Kennel Club describes them as not being territorial guard dogs and they are often not suspicious towards strangers, and they are friendly to other dogs.
- They are convenient and economical
It was said by experts that this breed was originally bred to live on a minimal amount of food. They usually pass up on eating meals now and then. Though they might require less food than other breeds, it’s very important to look into their diets and make sure it’s very balanced and nutritious. You can ask your veterinarian for the appropriate diet for your Siberian Husky.
- They are very playful and agile
Siberian Huskies are very playful, agile, and dynamic. They make great hiking, biking, camping, and running companions because of their large stamina. They are one of the best breeds to pull sleighs for a very long distance. This lively breed enjoys vigorous exercises outdoors, especially during the cold season. They make the perfect companions to owners that like the great outdoors.
- They have an appealing look
One of the greatest thing that attract dog lovers towards Siberian Huskies is they striking and appealing look. Having a thickly furred coat, erect triangular ears, and a brushtail that gives them a wolfish appearance, glacial blue eyes, or brown eyes, the huskies have all the concoctions to make you fall in love with them.
- They are naturally Clean and odorless
For those who want a dog that doesn’t stink, then the husky is the perfect option for them. This breed is naturally clean and takes good care of their coats by often licking them as cats do. They hardly give any doggy stink and are very clean.
The above qualities make Siberian Huskies stand out among other breeds, but just like other breeds they have own con’s which we’re going to see below
Disadvantages of Owning Siberian Huskies
- They have strong predatory instinct
Siberian Huskies have great predatory drive. Which was said to have originated from how Mushers use to allow them to run and hunt freely in ancient times. Huskies should be supervised around small animals like hamsters, cats, and small dog breeds inside and around the house.
However, Huskies brought up together with other small pets tend to show less predatory instinct than others. Once they accept the smaller animals they become part of their pack and they won’t harm them.
- They have a strong pack drive
We all know that Huskies are very independent and free-spirited, but they are very amiable and have a strong pack drive. Kenneling them for a long period will make them develop Kennel Fever and become anxious further causing a lack of appetite, diarrhea, and restlessness. Experts suggest that if you are the type that stays away from home for long hours, the Siberian Husky isn’t the right dog for you.
- They have great stamina and bounciness
Huskies enjoy living with active people that will help them in getting their daily dosage of exercise. If you’re a couch potato or you’re too busy to have time for your Chukha, they won’t grow affection for you.
To keep your Siberian Husky fit and mentally stimulated, indulge it in daily walks, romps in the yards, or provide toys that will keep it happy. Most Husky owners think of bringing in another husky to play with their own.
- They can be very stubborn
If you detest stubborn dogs, then the Siberian husky isn’t for you. Having great stamina, extreme intelligence, being free-spirited and independent makes the Chukha a very stubborn dog breed. Not only Siberian huskies are stubborn, but almost all the Spitz-type dogs also get this character. Useful rulings and guidance are required to make them submissive and obedient.
Training this breed can be hard, as they strive on positive reinforcement training and require tactful challenges to keep them focused during training. However, they are known to love working for their owners and this helps in developing the bond between them.
- They like making noise that can be annoying
The Siberian Husky doesn’t usually bark, rather they howl like wolves. This they do mostly when they are bored or alone in the house. Though their howling might be fun to listen to, it can also be annoying if you live in a tight-knit community.
- They Shed heavily
If the sight of dog hair makes you cringe then a Siberian Husky isn’t for you, as the breed shed their coat about twice in a year. To avoid this you might want to be grooming the dog frequently or using rugs that don’t hold hairs.
The aforementioned are some of the disadvantages of Siberian Huskies, this doesn’t make them bad as most of their disadvantages can be treated well. From the above, you must have noticed that Huskies hate being bored and enjoy exercise, a good way to keep them happy and mentally stimulated is by getting some toys for them.
5 Reasons why Toys are important for your Husky
All dog breeds like playing with toys and whiskies aren’t an exception but do you know that those toys are extremely important to your Chukha? Below are some reasons
- It keeps them mentally stimulated
Playing with toys to dogs is equivalent to playing a puzzle game. Playing with toys especially interactive ones makes your dog tired way quicker than taking a 40-minute walk. This will keep them mentally stimulated, happy, and less bored.
- It helps them to learn
An easy way to make you’re Husky learn new things is by toys. You can teach him the catch and throw game, the tug of war, and many other games. Thus keeping them happy and mentally stimulated as they learn.
- It helps them to build more Independence
Huskies generally like to be independent but sometimes they can be picky and they don’t enjoy being alone for a long time. As a dog owner, you may have many commitments and can’t afford to be with your dog all the time, with toys to keep your Chukha entertained you have no worries. Toys make them learn and believe they can play and have fun while you’re not there.
- It reduces their risk of developing anxiety
Having toys to play with will reduces the risk of your canine friend developing anxiety. The toy will keep them busy and prevent them from being bored and depressed.
- It will make your Husky love you more
If you buy a toy for your dog, and sometimes join him in playing with it, your husky will develop more love and trust for you. Which I’m sure you’ll love.
The 5 Best Husky Toys Are Reviewed Below
Below we shall take a look at the five best Husky toys available on Amazon. With hundreds of brands selling dog toys on Amazon, it might be hard for you to choose the best toy for your Siberian Husky. To prevent you from falling into wrong hands, we have decided to review the five best husky toys on Amazon. This toy suits the chewing instinct of the breed comes at the right size, and a friendly price. Take a chilled juice as you go through the list
ZUUJNIL Dog toy for aggressive Chewers
The ZUUJNIL team is a team of pet lovers that are passionate about studying the behavior of dogs. They produce their dog toys after several tests to ensure the safety and durability of the product.
This very ZUUJNIL dog toy is made specifically for aggressive cheers that are naturally inclined to chew, and not getting a toy close to can trigger bad behaviors.
The safe, durable and chewable dog toy will prevent your dog from chewing your furniture. The brand makes the toy in a bone shape as the shape will keep attracting a dog to grab it and chew. According to an expert, Dr. Stanley Coren, there is no better canine sedative than a bone to munch.
The bone-shaped toy can be easily bent to fulfill the dog grasping habit, the big size corresponds with the bite strength of aggressive chewers. It has a rich texture that helps in massaging the gums and cleaning the molars and teeth.
It is made from a newly upgraded material that’s safe, durable, and almost indestructible. It also has an infused beef flavor that will make your dog fall in love with the toy more and more. The flavor will keep tempting it to play with the toy thus keeping it busy for a long time.
The toy is made in a way that, your dog can enjoy playing with it whether indoors or outdoors.
- The ZUUJNIL dog toy is made specifically for aggressive chewers having a unique looped shaped that lines with the dog’s grasping habit.
- The scientific suggested size of the toy is made to adapt to the bite force of aggressive chewers
- Has a rich texture that helps in massaging the gums, cleaning the teeth, and making biting more comfortable for Huskies.
- It is made from food-grade nylon and swallowable wood powder, that is nontoxic and is harmless to your pooch. The nylon is safer and less fragile than normal nylon.
- The material it is made from is almost indestructible as such there’s no need to worry about teeth marks produced on the toy due to aggressive biting.
- Has a tempting beef flavor that makes the toy more attractive and makes your dog spend more time playing with it.
- It promotes love and emotions between you and your canine friend and can be used to play both indoors and outdoors
- It has been tested and approved on many dog breeds that are interested in keeping themselves busy with chewing.
- It helps your dog reduce stress, anxiety, boredom, and bad behavior.
- Brand name: ZUUJNIL
- Manufacturer’s name: ZUUJNIL
- Weight of item: 9.9 ounces
- Dimension of item: 8.5 × 2 ×3 ( L × W × H)
- Dimension of item package: 9.25 x 7.83 x 2.36 inches ( L × W × H)
- Target audience: Dog
- Breed recommendation: Large & Medium-sized breeds
- Age range: Adults
- Color: Burlywood
- Style: Bone Shape
- Material: Wood flour, Nylon
- Specific uses: Massaging of gums, cleaning teeth, and reduction of boredom
- It is made from a durable none toxic and almost indestructible nylon
- It comes in a bone shape that’s loved by all dogs
- Has a beef flavor that will keep your dog playing with it for a long time
- Help your dog release stress, reduce boredom and anxiety, and keeps it mentally stimulated
- It’s only for aggressive chewers.
Zeaxuie Heavy Duty Dog Chew toys pack for aggressive chewers
The Zeaxuie heavy-duty dog chew toy for aggressive chewers is made from a reassuring material that will not hurt your pet’s health.
The pack contains a 1 * 4 knots thick rope toy, 3 * 2 knots of tough rope toys, 2 lovely sound squeaky toys, 1 * attractive beef flavor toy, and 2 * convenient dog poop bag rolls.
The toy contains a rope that’s 3cm in diameter having knots in 6cm, that are tightly woven twist, very thick and larger, and bite resistant than other ropes. It is made of natural cotton, soft but tightly woven, and twisted rope. That is safe, odorless, and harmless to your dog.
Having thick vigorous tuggers, the rope can resist harsh bites and pulls from long-time bites of powerful and aggressive chewers.
The interactive rubber toys are made from soft natural rubber that has passed over one thousand bites tests. It can’t be easily damaged and it’s very soft that it can’t hurt pooch’s gums.
The bite-resistant bone toy that is made from ft nylon has withstood more than tens of thousands of bites making it the perfect toy for large breeds and aggressive chewers. It also comes with a beef flavor that attracts dogs and keeps them chewing for a long time.
The Zeaxuie chew toys not only enhance the chewing ability of your canine friend help in massaging their gums, cleaning their teeth, reduces the risk of dental diseases, and gives your pooch a fresh breath.
This interesting pack can be used to play many games like tug of war, toss and fetch, and other interactive games that will increase the bond between you and your dog, keep it happy, and mentally stimulated.
- The 9 pack value package contains: 4 heavy-duty ropes with thick knots, 2 attractive sound-making toys, a bone chew toy, and 2 dog poop bag rolls
- The package is made specifically for large breeds weighing 60 – 80 lbs, it helps them in their daily needs of training, chewing, and playing.
- The indestructible rope is large and thick and extremely bite resistant
- The squeaky toys have been tested for more than 1000 bites from aggressive chewers.
- The bone shape beef-flavored toy is also bite-resistant and extremely wear-resistant
- The toys enhance the chewing abilities of dogs while keeping their teeth clean and massaging their gums.
- The toys can be used to play many games that will reduce boredom in dogs and increase their bond with their owners
- Brand: Zeauxie
- Manufacturer’s name: Zeauxie
- Weight of item: 3.67 pounds
- Dimension of the package: 10.59 x 8.9 x 5.67 inches ( L × W × H)
- Target audience: Dogs
- Recommendation breed: large breeds
- Age range: Adults
- Color: 4 different types
- Material: Durable rope, natural rubber, and soft nylon
- Specific uses: boredom killer, mental stimulation
- The pack comes with different toys suiting families with many dogs
- The toys are made from safe harmless materials
- The bone toy has a beef flavor that will satisfy the dog’s chewing instinct and it helps in massaging the gums
- The rope has thick knots making it more durable and wear-resistant
- It is only for large breeds
PETSLA dog toy for aggressive chewers
The PETSLA dog toy for aggressive cheers is made from heavy-duty safe chewable nylon for both large, medium, and small dogs.
The durable pet toy is made with a hard nylon material that is very safe, eco-friendly, and nontoxic. The Nylon antler bone is very durable and provides a safe and comfortable chewing experience for your fur friend.
PETULA brand makes it clear that the small bits that will chew off by dogs during aggressive biting will be able to pass safely through its digestive system. Designed to resemble the shape of an antler, which also helps in attracting the dog to chew, the toy is composed of natural odorless nylon material that is hard enough to satisfy your dog’s desire to chomp.
Chewing the toy will help in cleaning your dog’s teeth, remove plaque and tartar, promote oral health, and reduces bad breath.
Your dog won’t be able to break the toy into two while chewing as it has been tested on pitbull, Siberian Huskies, and German Shepherd and it has proved to be very durable.
- The Long-lasting dog toy is designed for aggressive chewers, it keeps them busy, helps them release excess energy, reduces anxiety, boredom, and destructive behavior
- It improves dental health as chewing helps in cleaning the teeth, controlling tartar and plaque, promote oral health, and soothes the gums.
- It is made from safe, durable, nontoxic, and eco-friendly nylon that was tested and ensured was harmless
- Dogs will be able to chew off bits that will be digested successfully without causing health challenges to your canine friend
- It is designed in a bone shape that attracts dogs and makes them hungry to satisfy their chewing instinct
- The brand provides a lifetime guarantee replacement if the toy doesn’t last as you expect it to or if your dog doesn’t like it
- Brand name: PETSLA
- Manufacturer’s name: PETSLA
- Weight of item: 5.6 ounces
- Dimension of item package: 6.85 x 2.6 x 1.34 inches ( L × W × H)
- Target audience: Dogs
- Breed recommendation: All breeds
- Age range: All ages
- Color: Antler
- Material: Nontoxic nylon
- Specific uses: Helps in cleaning the teeth, reducing boredom and anxiety
- It is made from a durable none toxic nylon
- It comes in a shape that is loved by dogs
- It is very strong and last for a long time
- It helps in cleaning the teeth
- The brand provides a replacement in case of disappointment
- Some customers complained their dogs doesn’t like the model
Jalousie 14 pack dog rope toys
The Super pack contains the 14 most popular dog rope toys for all breed sizes. The pack includes an interactive rope, a flying disc, a tennis ball, puncture-resistant balls, a chew bar, and a rubber bone.
The toys were made from extra thick and durable ropes and strengthened joint connections making them weather resistant and able to survive intense play.
The toys help in cleaning the teeth of your hound, removing tartar and plaque, and improving its overall dental health.
- The Super Value pack contains 14 popular dog toy ropes for small, medium, and large dogs
- It is made from highly durable thick ropes with strengthened connections making it survive intense play and harsh weather
- The toys also help in cleaning the teeth of your dog removing dirt, tartar, and plaque.
- The cotton is durable and but not indestructible, so dogs should be supervised while playing
- The items may vary due to upgrade
- Brand name: Jalousie
- Manufacturer’s name: Jalousie
- Weight of item: 2.89 pounds
- Dimension of item package: 12.6 x 8.4 x 3.5 inches ( L × W × H)
- Target audience: Dogs
- Breed recommendation: All breeds sizes
- Age range: All ages
- Items included: 14 most popular rope dog toys
- Specific uses: Reduces anxiety and destructive behavior, cleanses the teeth
- Warranty description: 15 days
- The super pack is suitable for households with many dogs
- The toys help in clean dog’s teeth and preventing tartar
- They keep dogs busy and away from destructive behavior
- Not for aggressive chewers
Buying Guide Questions
Here we’re going to take a look at some buying guide questions concerning huskies, their toys, and their behaviors
What do Husky like to play with?
Siberian Huskies like to play with toys like balls, ropes, or toy bones. Apart from that, huskies are also known to be fond of playing with their owners
How do I Keep My Husky Entertained?
There are many ways to keep your Siberian Husky entertained, they include; taking him on a walk, playing fetch with it, teaching it how to swim, training it vigorously, giving it puzzles, and giving it toys to play with
How do you know if a husky is happy?
If your husky is happy, it will accept food, behave well, have high energy, and have eyes opened well. It will also observe its sleeping habits normally.
Do huskies need a bath?
Yes, Huskies need a bath but not frequently as they don’t produce much oil. It’s okay to bath him once in a month or when he starts to smell or develops mats
Do Huskies Calm Down?
Yes, Huskies tend to calm down between the age of 6 to 12 months, though this highly depends on their energy level. Generally, huskies tend to calm down as they reach adulthood. But if yours didn’t, train him to.
Do Huskies attack their owners?
No, huskies are known to be loyal, gentle, and affectionate to their owners. They are not among the aggressive breeds. However, they might show aggressive behaviors sometimes and this can be corrected by proper training and socialization.
Can you leave a husky alone for 8 hours?
No. Leaving your husky for 8 hours alone is way too long. The maximum hours to leave you’re Husky alone is 6 hours, even at that, you should leave it with toys to keep It busy and reduces anxiety. Leaving your husky alone can make it from anxiety and frustration who h might end up leading to destructive behaviors.
Are Huskies big chewers?
Yes, Siberian Huskies are big chewers. They chew anything they could set their teeth on aggressively, which is why you need to teach them not to chew anyhow and also provide durable toys that will satisfy their chewing instinct.
What does it mean when a husky howls?
Howling is a form of communication between huskies. There are many reasons why huskies howl – it might be as a sort of communication between themselves or with their owners, it might be due to anxiety, and it can also be a way to show joy and happiness. Sometimes huskies howl without any reason, probably for enjoyment.
Should I let my Husky sleep with me?
It’s not advisable to sleep with you as you might turn and hurt it making it to bite you in defense. You can make it sleep on the floor beside your bed. But if you and your husky doesn’t have health and behavioural issues that will make sleeping together a problem, you can sleep together.
Why does my husky put his paw on me?
Experts suggests that huskies put paws on their owners as a way to show then that they love them. If you’re stroking its hair and he put his paw on you, it is a way of reciprocating love and appreciating you.
Why does my husky stare at me?
Generally, huskies stare at their owners as a way of showing affection and love.
Siberian Husky is an amazing breed of dog that’s friendly, affectionate, and loyal to its owner. In return for their affection, buy toys for them that will keep them happy and engaged. These toys should be made from durable materials that are safe and harmless, just like the above-reviewed ones.
For more about dogs, check our previous articles: