Nowadays, guinea pig owners have some luxury of selecting their little pets from a wider variety of cages. This was not always the case since commercial cages have poorly been built for years and are often too cramped for any quality of life. Thanks to companies like Kavee, the market has been shaken and is beginning to shift.
There are also several cages on the market that fulfill the required size standards for guinea pigs. Because it can be challenging to look for the right cage for your precious pets, we’ve selected a list of the best cages for the guinea pigs, so you don’t have to go through the stress!
Benefits of having a Guinea Pig Cage
Guinea pigs would profit greatly if they are in a bigger cage! And not just the critters. However, the trainer will also benefit from it! Using a lot of freedom to run and play keeps them going healthy. Here are some of the benefits of having a big cage!
Guinea pigs typically live as long as 5 – 7 years, and sitting in a small cage for a life where there is no room to play would leave them sad and bored. This will also affect their lifetime!
They’re very busy, and they still love to run. In a big cage, they will be able to run anytime they want and avoid some sort of medical problems, such as heart failure, bumble-foot, etc., from growing.
Big cages typically feature big openings that make them very accessible, thus rendering the cleaning process very easy.
The Best Guinea Pig Cages Are Reviewed Below
These eight cage designs deliver excellent features, which is why they are on the list. Besides, they make your critters feel more relaxed and comfortable, and we aren’t the only ones who think so! Not! Some existing customers share our philosophy! Just go over to the reviews and see how happy the people review and rate at these cages.
Living World Deluxe Habitat
With a perfect mix of scale, longevity, and functionality, the Living World Deluxe enclosure is one of the world’s most OK guinea pig cages. It’s available in 3 different sizes; however, the larger version is the most common because it provides a spacious room.
The wide one measures 47-inches in length, which will encourage your pets to move freely. The manufactuerers uses both metal and plastic tools and materials in the makeup, which makes it robust. Plus, they have found the whole case chew-resistant.
The upper half of this case is a metal structure, and the lower part is plastic and reversible. With two half-length dome hatches, this case offers easy access to any section. The case has an elevated platform that serves as a sleeping area! All of the other feeder gear comes with the buy!
- Provides everything you need
- Designed with upper wireframe
- Safe well ventilated
- Comfortable for small pets
- Balcony with access ramp
- Small animal hideout
- Assemble in minutes
- Product Dimension: 30.7L x 18.9W x 19.7Hin
- Product Size: Standard
- Product number: 61857
- Product Mnaufactuer: Livinng World
- Product ASIN: B007BNE1YA
- Excellent Spacing
- Ceiling Hatches
- Portable and lightweight
- Chew Resistant
Guinea Habitat Guinea Pig Cage
The Guinea Habitat Cage comes with a large area of 47 x 24 x 14 (8 sq. ft.) One of the main reasons for this model’s great success is its assembly. It doesn’t take much to assemble it, no equipment at all. Plus, no ambiguity in the assembly process; too easy.
It is separated into two compartments to offer both an open and a comfortable room for relaxation for your critter. The top wire mesh cage is removable, allowing you to leave it open in the yard, but only when there is no other pet in the house that can hurt them.
Critters can’t fly because the walls are 14-inch-high, meaning you don’t have to worry about the critters fleeing while the roof is open. The maker used PVC mesh wire to make this enclosure, and PVC mesh wire makes it very lightweight and sturdy.
A few add-ons are required for this cage that you need to buy separately, including a green canvas bottom that will provide comfort to your delicate leg critters.
One thing we liked about this very concept is that it can be extended. If you want to introduce more pets to the cage, or the current critters present a new addition to the family, you can either purchase another identical cage or put all of them together to make a large cage of 16 sq. ft.
- Has eight square feet living area
- Fully removable wire mesh
- Multi-access folding top and divider panel
- Secure and convenient access to guinea pigs
- Ideal for first-timers
- Product Dimension: 47 x 24 x 14 inches
- Product Weight: 12.5 Pounds
- Product number: 171GHP
- Product Manufacturer: Midwest Homes for Pets
- Product ASIN: B001NJ0DQ8
- Removable top
- Quick assemblage
- Easy to clean
- The bottom is not durable.
Kaytee Guinea Pig Cage
This Guinea pig cagefrom Kaytee is ideal for two little critters, and as they get mature, you will have to move them to a larger cage. With that said, this cage is a lovely style to have in the home, that’s because of the look. It comes with an excellent style, enough to accommodate any modern family.
Four essential wheels enable you to drive them here and there with only a gentle movement. This cage has a plastic rounded corner bottom and a wire mesh roof. The big top opening makes this cage very usable, and the rounded corner makes it easy to vacuum.
It comes with a comfortable shelf where the critters are meant to eat and drink. Another advantage of this shelf is that the bottom of the cage gets less dirty with food and water. There’s even a strong ramp to ascend to the ledge.
All in all, the Kaytee Guinea pig enclosure is a caring cage. Kaytee uses used high quality building materials that make it sturdy, and it will last for a few years!
- Safe, comfortable habitat
- Rounded corners
- Wheels for easy mobility
- Security for easy access
- Deep plastic base
- Product dimension: 18 x 30.25 x 29.25 inches
- Product weight: 15.25 pounds
- Product model number: 100501968
- Product Manufacturer: Central Garden and Pet
- Product ASIN: B001UGOR1Q
- Beautiful design
- Easy to clean
- Dish and water bottle inside
- Only for one adult critter
Kaytee Complete Guinea Pig Kit
This is another guinea pig cage from the Kaytee brand. Before you go much further, you should know that this isn’t a cage that provides plenty of room; it’s a very easy and compact cage where the adult critter can reside comfortably. But do you know what the best part of this enclosure is?
It arrives with a chew-proof warranty, which ensures that the bars and latches are thoroughly chewing resistant. It’s not something you would predict from all the cages. While this cage is marketed as suitable for two critters, it would be safer if you used this cage to hold only one adult critter, and if desired, you might keep two young critters.
The time it takes to set isn’t much, and it does not require any external tool. It arrives with a deep base that not only makes it easy for you to clean the cage and allows you to slip in and out quickly. It brings some of the required accessories, such as food dishes, water bottles, bedding, etc.
- Chew proof latches
- Keeps pets secure and safe
- Scatters base
- Comes with a dish and water bottle
- Cozy bedding
- Easy cleaning
- Product Dimension: 30 x 18 x 16.5
- Product Weight: 11.64 pounds
- Product Manufacturer: Central Garden and Pet
- Product Color: Blue
- Product ASIN: B00BLRN198
- Product Model Number: 100511106
- Chew resistant
- Easy base slide in and out
- Comes with accessories
- Excellent Contruction
- Easy to clean
- It can be challenging to open.
- Does not provide enough room
Wabbitat Deluxe Cage
The Wabbit Deluxe Cage also has plenty of similar features as the previous cages. There is still a unique feature, though, that puts it one step ahead of the race. It arrives with a plastic bottom that fits two crystals nicely. It has an elevated feeding area where even the food dish and the bottle of water are put.
And one of the great things about this cage is that it comes with a private room that’s protected all over the place. That’s where the critters are expected to chill while crowds accompany them. That being said, the private space lacks adequate ventilation, so your pet won’t be safe there for a more extended period.
It also comes with three wide doors, making this cage very open. Good usability is a must since it enables cleaning the cage very convenient. Midway has also introduced several add-ons, such as wire expansion and hutch extension.
- Free hay feeder and water bottle
- Large living space
- Compatible with extension
- Assemblage doesn’t require any tool.
- Manufacturer’s warranty
- Product Dimension: 47.16 x 23.62 x 19.68 inches
- Product Weight: 16.7 Pounds
- Product Style: XL Rabbit Cage
- Product model number: 158XL
- Product Manufacturer: Midwest Homes for Pets
- Product ASIN: B07CDXJVP2
- Fantastic design
- Enough room
- Comes with a private room
- Highly accessible
- Feeder Shelf
- Somewhat tricky to set up
Ferplast Pig Grey Cage
This critter cage from ferplast features all the required accessories, including an integrated food bowl, a feeder, and a bottle of water. It has a reusable plastic base, climbs up the shelf, and even has a private space in the back. Removable plastic makes washing easier for the user. Read more: (Best Automatic Cat Feeders in 2021)
The door of this cage is very remarkable. Some cages come with doors that weigh a few inches or only enough for the pet to get in. But in this situation, the whole front is the entrance, which makes this cage open.
But that being said, there is still a downside. As if there’s a big trip, there’s a high risk that the critter will be able to run and attempt to clean the cage.
It arrives with wire mesh bars that are not chew-resistant and weak. Young Guineans may not be able to chew them off, but adult critters can do so. Because this cage doesn’t come with a top opening, you’re going to have to bring the animals away while you clean the cage.
- Fully open doors for easy access
- Versatile pet cage
- Ideal choice
- Excellent starter guinea pig home
- Easy maintenance
- Deep 6 inch base
- Product Dimension: 30.31 x 18.9 x 16.54 inches
- Product Weight: 8.46 Pounds
- Product Model number: 57054070
- Product Manufacturer: Ferplast Spa
- Product ASIN: B0133LNCJS
- Product Color: Blue, Green
- Highly accessible
- Private room
- Comes with a feeder shelf
- Removable base
- Weak design and make
Ware manufacturing Home Sweet Cage
Are you hunting for an inexpensive guinea pig cage? Then you’re supposed to take a deep look at this Ware home-making sweet cage. You don’t need a large, pricey cage-style to pet one or two young critters. The easy one is going to do the job initially.
The Ware manufacturer’s home sweet home cage is a very basic, low-maintenance critter cage with a reasonable amount of room. This cage is available in three different sizes. It is best to choose a big one. It arrives with a plastic base and a metal wire mesh bar. Both high-quality plastic and metal have been used by the maker in the building, making this cage sturdy.
And above all, the bar comes with a chew-resistant coating that keeps the critters safe. The base is deep enough to accommodate some of the things required, such as bedding, food bowl, glass, etc. It comes with a front opening that isn’t that wide!
- Big front opening
- Allows easy access for your pet
- Chew proof
- Odor-resistant material
- Simple to clean
- Product Dimension: 28 x 17 x 15.5 inches
- Product Weight: 7 pounds
- Product model number: 01991
- Product Manufacturer: Ware Manufacturing Inc
- Product ASIN: B003TKRYKC
- Product Color: White and Blue
- Heavy build and quality
- Chew resistant
- Has enough room
- Not highly accessible
ToysOpoly Premium Fabric Cage
ToysOpoly Premium Fabric Cage is indeed one of the best-selling guinea pig cages in the world. It’s a rare style made of cotton instead of mesh wire or rubber. This cage is locked from all over the place but still lets the air flow inside and keeps the critters safe.
It is easily compact, and the wind is assembling and folding. This is an extremely tight style, and with this cage, you can carry your critters outside as well because it’s locked from all over! The cage is waterproof and chew-proof. And the cloth is also scratch-resistant.
It arrives with a sturdy steel frame that holds the cage stable. There are mesh side sections that make a decent flow of air. This cage comes with several small pockets that are designed to carry water containers and other small objects.
- Spacious tent
- Stainless steel anchors
- Does not need set up
- Folds automatically when not in use.
- Durable waterproof material
- Certified non-toxic
- Product Dimension: 10.4 x 7.9 x 2.8 innches
- Product Weight: 6.3 pounds
- Product Manufacturer: ToysOpoly
- Product ASIN: B013Q7FGQQ
- Product Color: Blue
- Easy to assemble
- Highly portable
- Excellent ventilation
- Good space
- If not appropriately cleaned would stink.
Buying Guide Questions
Where to Set the Guinea Pig Cage?
- To keep the critters safe, along with the big cage, the location where you put the cage is also very significant. When you set the trap, there are two things you need to monitor the temperature of the area and the noise!
- You shouldn’t set your guinea pig cage to a spot where the temperature is too low or too hot. The optimum temperature for guinea pigs is between 65 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not put the cage near the stove, the fireplace, the direct sun; the heat could harm the critters. Set the cage in a neutral location where the temperature is mild.
- Try to put the cage in a quiet place; keep it away from heavy noise or crowds. Noise is going to make critters nervous and could scare them!
How to choose the best Guinea Pig Cage?
- Which criteria distinguish the better cages from the rest of them? That’s just what we’re going to teach you in this segment. Once you chose a cage to make sure you take these considerations into account!
Types of Cage
- Two primary kinds of guinea pig cages are commonly used: the cabinet and the conventional cages. Have a look!
- Hutches: Most of them are planned to be installed outside the home. And because they’re entirely made of wood, they’re going to be thicker than metal cages. However, these crates are not secure, and you’re not going to get a good picture of what the critters are doing. Plus, these cages are difficult to disinfect.
- That being said, when considering huts, make sure they are fully waterproof to keep your critters safe and secure even in heavy rain. Plus, pick up a thermal blanket to keep it cozy and convenient.
- Wire Mesh Cage: These cages are very common, not only for guinea pigs but for a wide range of pets, such as rabbits, chickens, etc. They arrive in plastic and aluminum. But most of the time, it’s a nice combo, a plastic bottom and a wire mesh roof.
- There are many advantages of having a wire mesh cage; they’re effortless to clean, they’re compact, and they let you see whatever your critters will be doing all the time.
Shape and Size
- A cage of 30 by 36-inch or 7.5 square feet is ideal for two guinea pigs. However, you will still like an extra 1.5 square foot room to add one or two young guinea pigs. The larger cage you pick, the more comfortable your guinea pigs will live, and the happier they will develop.
- Some of the benefits of bringing a large cage were that if the guinea pigs bring one or two recent guests, you wouldn’t need to buy a new cage. Big cages don’t get dirty quickly. As a result, less ammonia can be made, which is very safe for critters. Guinea pigs will have ample space to play, which ensures they will be well. So you might imagine MidWest Homes for Pets Wabbitat Deluxe.
- Guinea pigs can’t climb, which means they’re still going to sit on the floor, so when picking an enclosure, you don’t have to stress the height; if the distance is large enough, you’re good to go!
- By luxury, we didn’t say you had to give your guinea pigs a memory foam bed. The critters will like their cage to be cozy, and that’s crucial if you want them to grow safe. So when you choose an enclosure, choose one that doesn’t come with a rough surface. Living World Deluxe Habitat is the perfect example of a smooth wall.
- Several cages come with waterproof and tear-proof foam; the cages would be the strongest. And they’re water immune; they’re not going to get much dusty because you’re going to be able to scrub them quickly. And because they’re tear-resistant, that means they’re going to give your critters warmth for a decent amount of time.
- You don’t want a cage that would take a lot of trouble to clean, don’t you? So pick a cage that comes with a large opening, such as Guinea Habitat Guinea Pig Cage.
- And it’d be safer if it were to open from the surface like Kaytee Large Guinea Pig Habitat. A large opening would allow you to access any nook and crannies of the case, allowing it makes it easy to keep the cage regularly. Wire cages with solid bottoms are very easy to clean, and you’ll be able to see whatever waste build up inside the enclosure.
Extra Area and Ventilation
- If you’re going to house the critters in a hutch, then pick one that consists of a balcony that has additional space for the critters and a means of decent ventilation. For instance, the ferplast crystal cage comes with enough airflow. Anyway, don’t ever put your guinea pigs in cages tight to make a proper airflow.
- If you’re using a mesh wire enclosure, you don’t need to stress ventilation. Any of the huts come with a private critter space where they can rest. If the hutch you’ve selected comes with that kind of personal space, make sure there’s adequate ventilation.
- The cage you’re buying should be long enough to last a couple of years. Check about the material used in the construction; if you are looking for wire mesh cages, pick one constructed of heavy and solid metal bars.
- The bars arrive with some sort of coating; try to see whether your critters will be able to eat it off or not. This coating consists of poisonous substances that can be hazardous to your critters.
What kind of cage is best for a guinea pig?
The following recommendation would help you set the required space for your critter. One guinea pig: seven-square foot cage, however, going for something a little bigger is commendable; usually 30″ x 36″ is a decent scale. Two guinea pigs: 7.5 square feet, although 10.5 square feet are recommended; usually 30″ x 50″ is a proper size.
Are multi-level cages suitable for guinea pigs?
No, not! They can’t walk on the cable, whether it’s a ramp or aboard. It’s very rough on their feet, and they’re more likely to get bumblefoot. Not to mention that their feet/legs could fall through and get injured.
Do guinea pigs like their cage covered?
Every cage is supposed to have a PARTIAL, OPAQUE COVER. Complete cage covers. If they’re open enough for good ventilation and light, then they don’t ever provide that feeling of protection to your guinea pigs. They want to feel protected from the birds of prey overhead. They’re just feeling safe under shelter.
Is it OK to just have one guinea pig?
It’s OK to have a guinea pig, so it’s better to have a few or more. Guinea pigs may have erratic behavior if left alone. If you have ample time to give yourself to your pet, chat and play with them, so you’ll be just fine with a single guinea pig. Otherwise, it’s safer to grab a pair or more.
Can you keep guinea pigs in your bedroom?
Yes, it’s completely safe to have your guinea pigs in the bedroom, provided you can guarantee that the temperature and airflow of the space are sufficient enough for your critters.
Can guinea pigs roam free in the house?
Roaming outdoors could provide a typical guinea pig with the ability to forage native vegetation. However, it leaves it susceptible to infection. You should let a guinea pig wander free inside your home to play.
Do guinea pigs need a wheel?
Guinea pigs do not require training wheels and balls to exercise and remain active. Although other pets can use these materials, such as hamsters and rats, they can be hazardous to guinea pigs. Extended periods of exercise can cause your piggy to suffer from severe injuries.
Do guinea pigs like to be held?
Yes, but it’s going to take a little longer and steady practice. You may view this confidence as love, but don’t be fooled; guinea pigs do not really like being held. Thus, you need to take your pet with care and diligence to hit this point. If they build the trust, they’re going to bind you. They’re not going to treat anyone in this way – it’s just you they love!
How often should you let your guinea pig out of its cage?
“Floor time” for guinea pigs is when you set up a guinea pig area and allow your guinea pigs some free time out of their cage to explore. Floortime is strongly recommended for guinea pigs at least three days a week for at least an hour at a time, but everyday floor time is preferable.
Can guinea pigs learn their names?
The truth is that they can, but with the assistance of some excellent training. It’s not as easy as teaching a dog to answer when they’re called. Guinea pigs are intelligent, but some don’t reply to their name, irrespective of their practice.
Do guinea pigs miss their owners?
The truth is, yes, they are. Not only are they social with each other, but they are also social with their owners. Particular forms of noise and love are a few of the various respects in which guinea pigs prove they know their owners.
Why does my guinea pig squeak when I pet him?
They’re not cats, so they’re squeak. When the guinea pig squeaks, it’s probably a sign of excitement. This occurs when they’re petted, contented, or used for courting.
While you’re out to purchase a cage, bear two things in mind; don’t choose a small cage and a cage that doesn’t allow adequate ventilation. Two main reasons distinguish suitable cages from cheap cages. However, if you’ve been through the list, you may have found the right guinea pig cage for you; I hope it’s going well and keeping your critters healthy!