If you have been thinking of adopting or shopping for a dog, then the Maltese breed is a good option for you! Maltese make good companions and they are known for their agility, obedience, and being good competitors in dog racing. But hey, the Maltese breed likes being around its people so get ready to have your lovely flurry canine friend always by your side.
Maltese are well known for the snow-white and silky coat that covers its body. Year’s back, other colors of Maltese are found but nowadays only the white ones are found. Maltese sheds a little of its thick and straight coat because it doesn’t have an undercoat. Apart from its glamorous coat, another advantage of the Maltese breed are its intelligence and devotion to its masters. It is one of the smallest dog breeds, making it a good option for families that don’t like big dogs. They learn quickly and they’re very responsive to the environment which makes them a good option as watchdogs.
Maltese are known to be intolerant of little children and other dogs especially if the latter is becoming a threat to their relationship with their human family, they can bark and bite to their annoyance.
Being a Companion pet, Maltese love receiving attention from their owners, lack of care and show of love from the owner might throw the dog into anxiety and depression.
Well, Maltese dogs aren’t a bad idea at all, so if you have one or you are thinking of getting one, this article is for you as we’re going to discuss how to choose the best food for your Maltese dog, we will review the best Maltese foods you can ever find on Amazon and then we will answer some frequently asked questions about Maltese and their foods. Grab a hot tea as you go through this article.
How to Choose the best dog food for Maltese
Choosing the best dog food for your Maltese dog is very important as feeding your canine friend with the right food will help make it more healthy and reduce its risk of contracting diseases.
Below are some factors you’re supposed to think about before choosing a dog food:
- Know the nutritional needs of your dog
Whether you are choosing dog food for Maltese or any other dog breed, the first thing to note is the nutritional needs of your canine friend. This includes the nutrients that your dog needs, and also how to make the food a balanced and delicious diet. Normally, a dog needs 10 amino acids to be present in their meal, these amino acids can be gotten from both meat and plant sources.
Dogs also need proteins in their food, as they are very essential in helping them to build tissues, organs, and cells, like amino acids proteins can be obtained from plants and animal sources. Our canine friends also need a little number of fats and oils as they help in digestion and also provide energy.
When it comes to vitamins and minerals, your dog needs vitamins A, C, E, and K, it also needs a little amount of Sodium, Potassium, Iron, Chlorine, Magnesium, Manganese, and Folic acid.
- Life stage of your Dog
An important factor to note when choosing dog food is the life stage of your canine friend. Though some dog foods can be given to both little puppies and big dogs, some nutrients are needed by dogs at an early age and also there are those needed when a dog has started getting old.
For puppies, their food should contain nutrients that support growth and development. Experts suggest that the food of puppies should contain a single source of protein like tuna, bass, or beef, they also suggest that 25% of the diet should be protein.
When choosing food for adult dogs, take a look at how active the dog is, for less active dogs, choose food containing less fat and calories. For very active dogs, they include a lot of fats and proteins in their food, because of their workload, these dogs need a lot of calories.
For dogs that are older than 7, look for food that helps maintain good health and improve tissues. Old dogs also need some proteins for bodybuilding and keeping a good muscle mass.
- Have Feeding Schedules
Having feeding schedules is a very important factor, know when to feed your dog and how many times to feed it daily. Most dog foods these days come with cooking guidelines that will guide you on how to feed your dog, remember, these are mere guidelines, not revelations so if your dog isn’t faring well with the guidelines quickly change them.
On the issue of how many times to feed your dog daily, experts suggest that dogs should be fed twice daily – Morning & evening but this depends a lot on the type of dog, its health challenges, and its energy output.
Don’t waste time in changing your dog’s feeding schedule once you notice it’s getting leaner, or becoming overweight. If your dog is getting lean day by day, add more carbs and proteins to its food, on the other hand, if the dog is getting overweight, reduce the number of calories you’re giving it and look at a weight control formula.
- Serve your dog with Wet and dry foods
Some dog owners make the mistake of choosing to feed their canine friends with wet food only or dry food only. This isn’t right at all, to ensure a healthy and nutritious diet, you must mix wet and dry canned food that looks wet, containing about 75% moisture. This is why it’s important to find wet dog food and mix it with your dog’s dry food, wet food is important in that – they contain more water making them easily digestible to dogs that have kidney stones or those that suffer from irritable bowel syndrome. Wet foods are usually tastier than dry foods, which will make your canine friend keep its head on the bowl till the last morsel.
However, if you find it hard to find t food if you can’t afford it, you might want to try pouring a little amount of water into your dog’s food or make it drink water after each meal.
- Avoid some foods
Well, you may be thinking that you can feed your dog with any food No! Some foods have to be avoided. Many foods can but they are poisonous to dogs. Some of these foods are dairy products: milk, cheese, and stuff like that should be avoided as they cause diarrhea & dehydration. Garlic and onions cause red blood cell rupture in dogs and cats which leads to an inefficient supply of oxygen. Chocolates cause seizures, heart issues, vomiting, and diarrhea in dogs. Bread doughs should also be avoided as they cause respiratory failure. While dogs are known to be lovers of fish, feeding them with raw fish should be avoided as it causes seizure and it can lead to death. Other foods that should not be given to dogs include sweets, raisins, almonds, and grapes.
- Look at your budget
An important thing to note when choosing dog food for Maltese is your budget. If you have a low-income budget, don’t worry, you don’t need much money to feed your dog with a healthy balanced diet. There are so many options available; you can choose to feed your canine friend with dry kibble only, canned moisture food, or even raw food.
When you check Amazon for the best dog foods for Maltese, you will see different price ranges, choose the one that suits your budget best. Be careful not to pay extra money for beautiful packaging and don’t go for cheap dog food that isn’t healthy and nutritious. For your convenience, we will review some best dog food for Maltese in this article.
- Buy From Good Brands
Don’t just buy any food for your dear Maltese, no you have to do a short research on the brand before deciding whether to feed your Maltese with their food or not. Some things you are supposed to Inquire about include; where does the brand source their protein? Are their ingredients of high quality? Where do they manufacture the food? For how long have they manufactured dog food? What’s the feedback they get from their previous customers? Make sure you choose a brand that is open and transparent about how they source their ingredients, and how they manufacture their food.
The above-mentioned factors are very important to note before choosing dog food for Maltese or any other dog breed. If you’re still overwhelmed on how to choose the best food for your dear Maltese, don’t worry, below is a review of the 5 best dog food for Maltese on Amazon.
The 5 Best Dog Food For Maltese Are Reviewed Below
As earlier mentioned, it’s a bit overwhelming choosing dog food especially if you’re a new pet parent. To save you from falling in the wrong hands we’ve decided to review the 5 best dog food for Maltese that you can ever find on Amazon.
These foods are very healthy, and nutritious containing all the essential nutrients that your canine friend needs for growth and development. The foods are also manufactured by well-known brands and they come at a friendly price. Grab a chilled juice as you go through the list.
Royal Canin Maltese Dry Food
The Royal Canin company has good dry food for your Maltese dog. The brand partners with experts to develop the perfect formula for the Maltese breed. Before manufacturing this dry food, the brand looks at the breed, the type of coat, type of jaw, and possible health complications of the Maltese breed. So if you are looking for something close to perfect, try the Royal Canin Maltese Dry food.
This food helps provide the right diet that helps maintain healthy skin and coat, it is also easily digestible and satisfies the appetites of your canine friend. The dry kibble is made specifically for purebred Maltese and it contains all the nutrients that are required by them to thrive and live a healthy nutritious life. The dry food also comes in shapes that can be easily picked up and chewed by your dog. The presence of Omega-3, Omega-6 amino acids, Biotin, and other essentials will help your Maltese to develop a long silky glamorous, and shiny coat.
To reduce bad stool odors and hard stool, the brand made sure they use highly digestible proteins and fibers that will ensure easy digestion and passing out. The food also comes in different tastes, exceptional aroma, and flavors that will keep your Maltese dog highly satisfied.
You can’t expect less from the Royal Canin Company after they have more than 50 years of experience in manufacturing pets food.
- Royal Canin Maltese Dry food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of Purebred Maltese dogs from 10 months old upwards
- The dry food is designed in different shapes that enable your Maltese dog to pick up food and chew it easily
- Royal Canin Maltese dry for contains Omega-3 and Omega-6 amino acids that help maintain a silky and long coat
- The presence of Biotin helps Maltese dogs to develop a long silky and shiny coat
- It contains highly digestible proteins and fibers that help reduce stool amount and bad stool odor
- It is highly palatable and contains exceptional aromas that keep your canine friend satisfied
- The Royal Canine food was made after a lot of research and studies so it’s very safe and healthy
- Brand: Royal Canin
- Manufacturer: Royal Canin
- Weight of item: 2.5 pounds
- Dimension of item package: 10.7 x 6.5 x 1 inch (L × B × H)
- Dimension of item: 4 x 7.5 x 12 inches (L × B × H)
- Target audience: Adult Maltese dogs
- Number of items: 1
- Age Description: Adults
- Breed Recommendation: Large breeds
- Included components: Dog Food only
- Direction for use: Check the package
- Warranty Description: Feel free to contact the company in case of any dissatisfaction
- Contains Amino acids that help develop a long, silky, and glamorous coat
- It comes in different shapes that make your dog k up and chew the food easily
- It contains highly digestible proteins & fibers that ease digestion and reduce stool amount and odor
- It contains aromas that keep your canine friend with a high appetite
- It’s only made for the Maltese breed
Nutro Natural Choice Dry Dog Food For Maltese
Are you looking for a wholesome, healthy, and nutritious meal for your Maltese dog? Then the Nutro Natural Choice Dry Dog Food is the right answer for you. This dry food is made specifically are for r dog that areas one-year-old and older. It is the perfect choice for dogs that prefer smaller kibbles as it comes in smaller bites that your dog will comfortably chop.
Nutro Natural Choice dry food support health immunity as it contains healthy antioxidants and contains natural fibers that aids in digestion. As per the philosophy of the Nutro Feed Clean company, the highly nutritious delicious lamb and brown rice recipe contain a high natural protein source as its chief ingredient. All the ingredients are 100% naturally made and they were all sourced from trusted farmers and suppliers.
Nutro Natural Choice Dog Dry food is 100 percent free of all GMO ingredients and contains zero chicken by-products, meal, soy, corn, and wheat. The recipes are highly rich in nutrients and full of flavor that will leave your little friend waiting eagerly for the next meal while staying nutritious and healthy.
The brand however made it clear that traces amounts may be found due to potential cross contacts during the manufacturing of the dry food.
- Each 5lb bag of Nutro Natural Choice Small bites dry adult dog food, contains a highly nutritious Lamb & brown rice recipe for dogs
- Real lamb is the chief ingredient of Nutro Natural choice dog dry food
- The dry food is for dogs that are one year or older
- It is 100 percent free of GMO ingredients, wheat, soy, corn & meal
- It comes in smaller bites making it easy for your dog to pick and chew
- The adult dog dry food is formulated to support healthy immunity as it contains antioxidants
- Nutro Natural dry food aids in digestion as it contains healthy natural fibers
- It was cooked in the USA high-quality facilities with natural ingredients sourced from around the world
- All the ingredients were sourced from trusted farmers and suppliers
- Brand name: Nutro
- Manufacturer: Nutro
- Weight of item: 5 pounds
- Dimension of item: 5 × 8 × 14 (L × W × H)
- Dimension of item package: 15 × 8.15 × 4.16 (L × W × H)
- Target audience: Adult dogs
- Number of items: 1
- Age Description: Adults
- Breed recommendation: All breeds including Maltese
- Color: Small bites
- Style: Smaller bites kibbles
- Included components: Nutro Wholesome essentials small bites dry dog food, Lamb and brown rice recipe
- Specific uses of product: Prevent food allergies
- It is 100 GMO-free
- It is made from natural ingredients sourced from trusted farmers and suppliers
- It comes in small bites that are preferable to dogs that like smaller kibbles
- It is formulated to support healthy immunity as it contains antioxidants and healthy natural fibers
- It doesn’t come with a warranty
- It is mainly for adult dogs
Cesar Crafted Cuisine Complement dog wet food
The great taste of the Cesar-crafted cuisine dog wet food is loved by all dogs. The Cesar wet dog food complement tubs are designed to give your canine friend a simple and tasty meal complement and will keep them looking forward to the next meal. Adding the real chicken, wholesome, healthy, and nutritious moist dog food to any balanced meal as a topper will complete the meal to a healthy and nutritious one. Cedar simply crafted dog wet food is made 100 percent from natural ingredients and it is devoid of any artificial flavor colors, fillers, or preservatives. The healthy topper is served in convenient tubs with no fuss and they easily peel off making meal time easy and less hassle.
The chief ingredient of the Cesar wet food is chief which is one of the most loved among dogs, every serving of this wet food will leave your canine friend full of nutritious tender chicken flavor.
- Each package contains ten 1.3 oz tubs of Cesar Simply Crafted Chicken dog wet food
- It was made from 5 ingredients or less for a wholesome addition to any meal with more flavor and less filler
- The chief ingredient of this healthy topper is chicken which is one of the dogs’ favorites.
- It is completely devoid of artificial flavors, fillers, and preservatives. It contains wholesome ingredients that your dog will love. Every serving of the Cesar Simply crafted chicken has been cooked to perfection just for the happiness of you and your furry friend.
- Comes in convenient tubs with no fuss, seals are very easy to peel off thus making mealtime easier
- Can be served as a healthy topper to any complete meal to provide the perfect balanced diet for your pet.
- Brand name: Cesar
- Manufacturer: Mars Petcare
- Weight of item: 13 ounces
- Dimension of item: 8.9 x 8.35 x 3.66 inches (L × W × H)
- Dimension of item package: 8.9 × 8.46 × 3.5 inches (L × W × H)
- Targeted audience: Dogs
- Number of items: 1
- Age range: Adults
- Breed recommendation: All breeds
- Color: Wet Food
- Style: Simply crafted meal toppers
- Included components: Wet pet food pouches
- Ingredients: Chicken and water
- It is free of GMO ingredients and artificial preservatives
- It is a wet food as such it contains moisture that aids in digestion
- It comes in tubs that are easily peeling off
- The chief ingredient is chicken and it is loved by most dogs
- It is very tasty and has a good flavor
- Doesn’t come with a warranty
Racheal Ray Nutrish Variety Wet Dog Food
Are you worried about the perfect wet food to feed your maltese dig with? Worry no more, as thr Racheal Ray brand has provided the perfect option for you. The Racheal Ray nutrish savory variety packed wet dog food comes in three different flavours viz; the hearty beef stew, the savory lamb stew and the chicken paw pie. Each of these recipes was made from simple natural ingredients such as real beef, chicken, or lamb. Also each flavour contains additional natural ingredients that makes it more tasty, and more nutritious. The Racheal Ray nutrish also come with wholesome veggies, vitamins and minerals.
It is completely devoid of corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors and preservatives, just a wholesome meal of veggies, vitamins and minerals that will keep your canine friend healthy.
Each ingredient present has a purpose as all were carefully selected. The wet food contains first class proteins like chicken, salmon and white fish. These combine with essential vitamins, taurine and minerals to provide a balanced meal for your maltese dog.
- Each package of the Racheal Ray Nutrish variety dog well food contains 8 ounce tubs of wet dog food which comprises of 2 lamb savory stew, 2 Chicken paw pie and two hearty beef stew.
- All the 3 mouth watering recipes were made from real chicken or beef or lamb
- It doesn’t contain wheat, corn or soy
- It is completely devoid of artificial flavours and preservatives
- The natural dog wet food also contains additional vitamins and minerals to provide a healthy and nutritious diet for your canine friend.
- Brand name: Racheal Ray Nutrish
- Manufacturer: J M Smucker Company
- Weight of item: 48 ounces
- Dimension of item: 6.22 x 4 x 7.32 inches (L × W × H)
- Dimension of item package: 7.4 x 6.22 x 5.47 inches (L × W × H)
- Targeted audience: Dogs
- Age range : All life stages
- Beeed recommendation; All breeds
- Color: Savory Favorites variety pack
- Style: variety packs
- Number of items: 1
- Included components: 6 – 8 ounce tubs
- Specific uses of product: A complete and balanced meal designed to meet your dog’s nutritional needs
- It comes in variety of flavors so your furry friend won’t get tired of having a single flavour every meal
- It doesn’t contain wheat, soy or corn
- It is natural and doesn’t contain artificial preservatives, colors, fillers and flavors
- It contains vitamins, minerals and Taurine that help support the growth and development of your canine friend
- It doesn’t come with warranty
Buying Guide Questions
Here we’re going to answer some questions that are frequently asked by maltese dog owners about it’s lifestyle and its feeding habit.
How many times should a maltese each in a day?
It’s okay to feed your Maltese dog twice or thrice in a day. If you choose to feed it twice then it will be morning and evening. While if you choose to feed it thrice it will be like Breakfast, Lunch and dinner as humans do.
Be very careful on the amount of calorie you feed your maltese with daily, maltese puppies need more calories to accelerate their growth and development. While older dogs requires little calorie compared to puppies.
What Foods are bad for maltese dogs?
We all know that they’re are certain foods that are very bad for dogs. These foods causes seizures, indigestion, heart diseases to dogs and some even leads to their death.
Some of the foods that are bad for maltese dogs include: Chocolate as it contains Theobromine that is very harmful to dogs.
High fat foods like bacon, ham, and meat trimmings are bad for dogs as they cause pancreatitis and stomach upset. Salty foods are also harmful to dogs as they cause Sodium ion poisoning, excessive thirst and frequent urination in dogs.
Garlic and Onions are also bad for maltese as they destroy their red blood cells leading to anemia, however, garlic and onions are non harmful when taken in small amounts.
Other foods that are bad for dogs include milk, ice cream, cheese and other diary products, raw fish, raw meat, egg, baked foods, candies, gums, sugary foods, raisins, grapes, avocado & popcorn.
Can Maltese eat Rice?
Yes Maltese can eat rice. Some of the above reviewed maltese dog food contain rice as an ingredient. Rice is completely a safe and healthy food for maltese dogs, it is also a good option for sick dogs in general.
Do Maltese dogs bark alot ?
Like all toy breeds, maltese dogs do bsrk a lot, this is sometimes said to be as result of their vulnerable size, so they use barking as a defensive mechanism to protect themselves. Some maltese dogs barks more than others, and it’s not possible to stop maltese dogs from barking but you can reduce it to the minimum level with proper training.
Can Maltese Dogs Eat Eggs?
Yeah, eggs are completely safe for Maltese dogs they are a good source of nutrition for your furry friend as they contain proteins, vitamins, fatty acids, and minerals that are very essential for the growth and development of your Maltese dog. However, raw eggs are very dangerous for dogs.
Maltese dogs are fine dogs with a glamorous shiny coats, they’re very friendly and they really love their owners, and sometimes they can be overprotective. The above guide is very important when choosing dog food for your Maltese breed. Also, the above-reviewed foods are highly nutritious and healthy for the maltese breed, and they also come at a budget-friendly price.
For more information about dogs check out our other articles: