It is common knowledge that dogs have sensitive ears. However, just like human ears, dog ears can build-up wax, debris, and bacteria. Therefore, it is necessary to clean dog ears to prevent ear infections or hearing loss. Although ear cleaning is essential, not all dog breeds require regular ear cleaning. Usually, dog breeds with hairy or floppy ears, like Labrador retrievers, cocker spaniels, pit bulls, poodles, and basset hounds, require regular cleaning.
Before cleaning your dogs’ ears, you should have cotton balls or tissue, a towel, and an ear cleaning solution. Avoid using Q-tips or pointed objects when cleaning dogs’ ears because they can put debris farther into the ears. Also, you should only clean dogs’ ears if they are healthy.
Symptoms of Ear Infections
Regular ear cleaning is necessary for preventing infections. However, if your dog has an ear infection, a cleaning solution may not be of help. You should ask your Vet immediately if you notice signs of ear infection, including;
- Itching of ears
- Smelly ear canal
- Head tilting
- Redness or swelling of the eardrum
- Hair loss inside the ear
Types of Dog Ear Cleaners
- Liquid: liquid cleaning solutions can get into the ear canal, thus cleaning nooks and crannies of the ears. This type of ear cleaner is suitable for dogs with a lot of wax build-up and debris. Although liquid ear cleaners are easy to use, they can be pretty messy.
- Wipes: this type of ear cleaner doesn’t create a mess, unlike liquid ear cleaners. However, wipes are not eco-friendly and cannot clean down the ear canal.
How to Clean Dogs Ears
In this section, we discuss the safest way of cleaning your dogs’ ears at home. The first step is to ensure your dog is calm; you may use treats to make your dog comfortable. Afterward, squeeze a vet-recommended ear cleaner into your dogs’ ear canal. Ensure the tip of the applicator doesn’t touch the ears to prevent introducing bacteria.
The next step involves you massaging the base of the ear for about 30 seconds. When the ear cleaning solution dislodges the debris and ear wax, you should hear a squishing sound. Afterward, let your dog shake his head. You can use a towel to protect yourself from spraying or use the towel to wipe your dog’s face.
After the head shaking, use cotton balls to clean the ear canal. Avoid cleaning too deep. If your dog shows signs of pain during ear cleaning, ask your vet immediately.
You may be interested in the following articles;
The 11 Best Dog Ear Cleaners in 2021 are Reviewed Below
In this section, we discuss the most suitable ear cleaners for your pets. Kindly read on for more information.
QualityPet Ear Nectar Organic Dog Ear Cleaner
The QualityPet dog ear cleaner has a gentle and organic formula that destroys bacteria, mites and deodorizes, and cleans dogs’ ears. The ear cleaner does not sting or irritate, and it can remove was, debris, and particles. The ingredients in this ear cleaner are organic, safe, and easily recognizable.
With the QualityPet ear cleaner, you can be rest assured that there will be no ear pain for your dog. Also, you won’t have to visit the Vet regularly for ear cleaning sessions. Furthermore, the ear cleaner is from non-GMO, vegan, and organic ingredients, making it suitable for the most sensitive animals.
- Special organic formula
- Non-toxic and chemical-free
- Vegan and non-GMO ingredients
- Brand: QualityPet
- Dimensions: 6.5 × 1.6 × 1.6 in
- Weight: 5.1 oz.
- The ear cleaner has a unique formula that destroys bacteria, eliminates mites, cleans, and deodorizes the ears
- The ear cleaner contains vegan, non-GMO ingredients, and it is entirely safe for pets
- The ear formula is mild, non-toxic, and chemical-free
- There is no alcohol present
- The ear cleaner reduces ear infections and ailments, thus saving money on vet visits
- The ingredients are safe and recognizable
- The ear cleaner is ideal for cleaning wax, particles, and debris build-up in the ears
- It does not sting or irritate, making it suitable for the most sensitive animals
- Avoid using this ear cleaner as an ear wash. Dab the ear cleaner on a cloth and wipe both the inside and outside of dogs’ ears.
Virbac Epiotic Advanced Ear Cleanser
The Virbac ear cleanser has a gentle formula that makes it suit ale for frequent use. The solution can remove cellular debris and excess wax and also dry the ear canal. There are monosaccharides present to give the cleaning solution a soothing effect. The ear cleaning solution limits the bonding of microorganisms to the skin surface.
Furthermore, the Virbac ear cleanser has a neutral pH and emulsifies and removes ear wax. It also discourages a moist environment in the dog’s ears. This dog ear cleanser is recommended for pets with chronic inflammation of the external ear canal.
- Neutral pH
- Non-irritating solution
- Brand: Virbac
- Dimensions: 7.19 × 2.01 × 2.01 in
- Weight: 9.4 oz.
- The ear cleanser is suitable for removing excess ear wax and cellular debris
- The monosaccharides present are anti-irritants that gives a soothing effect
- The anti-adhesive limits the bonding of microorganisms to the skin surface
- The ear cleanser has a neutral pH that does not interfere with other ear preparations
- The non-irritating solution is gentle for frequent use
- It can neutralize foul odors
- The Virbac ear cleanser is suitable for sensitive ears
- The ear cleanser emulsifies the ears and removes dried wax
- It discourages a moist environment
- The ear cleanser is suitable for dogs with chronic external ear inflammation
- The ear cleanser has a strong scent
- The packaging is not so strong
Zymox Pet King Brand Otic Ear Treatment
The Zymox ear treatment is a vet-recommended ear cleaner that eases bacterial, fungal, and yeast infections. The treatment provides soothing relief from itchy and smelly ears. The formula is non-sting and non-toxic, and it is gentle on pets’ skin. Also, the treatment contains 1% hydrocortisone that is suitable for itch relief.
The Zymox ear treatment contains a patented LP3 enzyme system that destroys the most resistant microbes and cleans and disinfects the ears. The enzyme system is broad spectrum and is a natural anti-inflammatory and antibacterial alternative to antibiotics. Furthermore, the ear treatment contains a biofilm reducing complex that removes hard-to-penetrate bacterial biofilms that may cause ear infections in dogs.
Before using the Zymox ear treatment, shake the bottle before use and apply it to the dogs’ ears. Do not pre-clean dogs’ ears before application. After filling the ear canal, gently massage the base of the ear and work into the area. Wipe off excess liquid with tissue or cotton balls. Afterward, allow your pet to shake his head.
You can apply the ear treatment daily for very dirty ears for seven days or 14 days for chronic conditions. Also, you can ask your Vet on the frequency of application.
- No-sting, non-toxic formula
- LP3 enzyme system
- Biofilm-reducing complex
- Brand: Zymox
- Dimensions: 1.88 × 1.13 × 3.88 in
- Weight: 1.6 oz.
- The ear treatment is Vet recommended and is gentle on pets’ skin
- It can provide soothing relief for ear infections, swimmers’ ears, itchy and smelly ears. It is also suitable for relieving inflammation and irritation
- The formula doesn’t sting and is non-toxic
- The Zymox ear treatment is suitable for easing fungal, bacterial, and yeast ear infections
- The patented LP3 enzyme system destroys the most resistant microbes. It also cleans and disinfects the ear.
- The enzyme system is broad spectrum with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, making it an ideal alternative to antibiotics
- The ear treatment contains hydrocortisone for itch relief.
- The biofilm-reducing complex clears bacterial biofilms that may lead to infections.
- There are several size options available for the Zymox ear treatment.
- The ear treatment can be pretty messy after application
VetWELL Ear Cleaner
The VetWELL ear cleaner is a specially developed formula suitable for cleaning and deodorizing dogs’ ear canals. The ear cleaner can remove debris and wax build-up and also relieve ear infections. In addition, the formula is gentle and does not aggravate ear problems.
When using the VetWELL ear cleaner, apply liberally into the ear canal and massage the ear base. Afterward, let your dog shake its head and clean any excess with a cloth or cotton ball. For excessively dirty ears, use the ear cleaner about 2 to 3 times a day over several days. On the other hand, to maintain healthy ears, use the cleaner about 1 to 2 times weekly or as recommended by a vet. It is best to apply the ear cleaner whenever your dog swims.
It is important to note that if you suspect any damage to your dogs’ eardrum, do not apply the VetWELL ear cleaner.
- Vet developed ear cleaner
- Gentle and safe formula
- Cucumber melon scent
- Brand: VetWELL
- Package Dimensions: 7.83 × 1.73 × 1.65 in
- Weight: 8.2 oz.
- The ear cleaner is suitable for cleaning, drying, acidifying, and deodorizing dogs’ ears
- It can remove wax build-up, debris, and dirt
- It can relieve ear infections, scratches, itches, and odors
- The formula is safe and gentle; it does not burn, sting, or aggravate ear problems
- It is available in two fragrances
- The fragrance is strong and long-lasting
Vetoquinol Ear Cleansing Solution
The Vetoquinol ear cleansing solution is an easy-to-use, gentle formula suitable for dogs of all ages. The solution contains aloe vera that soothes the skin and eliminates odors. It also promotes a healthy ear canal and gives your dog fresh-smelling ears. Furthermore, the solution contains denatured alcohol and lactic acid.
Apply the Vetoquinol ear cleansing solution liberally into the dogs’ ear canal and massage the ear’s base. Afterward, allow your pet to shake its head and wipe away any excess with a cotton ball. It is important to note that no rinsing is required.
Use the ear cleansing solution two to three times daily for seven days for very dirty ears. For routine maintenance, one to two times weekly is enough. In addition, always clean your dogs’ ears after swimming.
- Gentle formula
- Aloe vera gel
- Denatured alcohol
- Lactic acid
- Brand: Vetoquinol
- Dimensions: 5.75 × 1 × 1.7 in
- Weight: 4 oz.
- The ear cleansing solution is easy to use
- It has a gentle formula suitable for dogs of all ages
- It promotes healthy external ear canal
- The aloe vera gel softens and moisturizes the skin. Also, it soothes the skin and eliminates odor
- The ear cleansing solution cleans, dries, acidifies, and deodorizes the ears to give your dog fresh-smelling ears
- There is denatured alcohol present to dry out the skin of the outer ear and prevent the growth of microorganisms.
- The lactic acid acidifies the skin and prevents the growth of bacteria or bugs that may cause infections.
- The ear cleansing solution is available in several sizes
- The Vetoquinol ear cleansing solution has a strong smell.
Vet’s Best Dog Ear Cleaner Kit
The Vet’s best ear cleaner has plant-based ingredients that comfort and protect pets. The formula is non-stinging and alcohol-free. It provides fast relief from itchy and irritated ears. The ear cleaner also gives lasting results.
Apply the Vet’s best ear cleaner to the opening of the ear canals and massage the ears to distribute the solution. Afterward, use a soft tissue to remove any excess liquid. Avoid contact with the eyes. In addition, it is best to use the ear cleaner before and after swimming.
- Alcohol-free and non-stinging formula
- Natural ingredients
- Brand: Vet’s best
- Dimensions: 1.5 × 3.25 × 8.5 in
- Weight: 4 oz.
- The Vet’s best ear cleaner can clean and soothe itchy and smelly dog ears
- The formula is alcohol-free, and it does not sting during application
- The ear cleaner provides fast and effective relief for red, itchy, and irritated ears
- The ingredients are natural
- The ear cleaner provides lasting results
- The Vet’s best ear cleaner has a strong scent.
Vet Organics EcoEars Dog Ear Cleaner
The Vet Organics dog ear cleaner is a chemical-free, safe, and effective ear cleaner. It contains high-grade herbs and essential oils for fast relief from foul odors, itches, and discharge. Furthermore, there are no synthetic chemicals, steroids, or solvents present in the ear cleaner. Also, there is a 100% hassle-free money-back guarantee for one year from the date of purchase.
Before applying the Vet Organics dog ear cleaner, lay your dog down on his side and fill the ear canal. Afterward, gently massage the base of the ear for about 90 seconds. Allow your dog to shake his head for as long as necessary. Then, dry the outer ear with a clean cotton pad.
The ear cleaner is only suitable for dogs that are 12 weeks or older. Use twice daily for about 10 to 15 days, and very dirty ears, use the ear cleaner for about eight weeks.
- All-natural, safe formula
- Pure, high-grade herbs
- Chemical-free ear cleaner
- Brand: Vet Organics
- Package Dimensions: 6.77 × 3.9 × 1.85 in
- Weight: 8 FL oz.
- The ear cleaner is suitable for removing persistent dirt and grime
- It is chemical-free, safe, and effective for even sensitive dogs
- The ear cleaner can wash away wax, dirt, and grime build-up
- The all-natural formula does not contain synthetic chemicals, solvents, steroids, or antibiotics. It is also suitable for sensitive ears
- The ear cleaner offers fast relief for smelly ears, head shaking, discharge, and itching
- It can break down biofilm, wax, and dirt
- The ear cleaner is suitable for itches, gunk, and smell
- There’s a 100% money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied with the product
Pet MD Otic Clean Dog Ear Cleaner
The Pet MD dog ear cleaner is a gentle formula that does not sting or burn dogs ears. The solution contains aloe Vera which soothes and moisturizes dog skin. In addition, the vet-formulated ear cleanser has a pleasant scent that eliminates odors and acidifies the ear canal. The dog cleaner is suitable for dogs of any age, and it can remove wax, fluid, and debris build-up to prevent pets from scratching and head shaking.
Apply the cleaner liberally into the ear canal and massage into the ear base. Allow your dog to shake its head and clean the excess with cotton or cloth. For dirty ears, clean about 2 to 3 times daily for several days. On the other hand, clean about once or twice weekly or as recommended by a vet to maintain healthy ears. You should also apply the ear cleaner after swimming.
- Gentle formula
- Aloe Vera
- Sweet pea vanilla scent
- Vet-formulated ear cleaner
- Brand: Pet MD
- Dimensions: 7.7 × 1.1 × 1 in
- Weight: 9.3 oz.
- The ear cleaner is safe for daily use
- The gentle formula does not sting or burn. It is also suitable for dogs of any age
- The aloe Vera present soothes the skin
- The ear cleaner is Vet formulated and is suitable for cleaning, acidifying, and drying the ear canal
- It is ideal for removing ear was, dirt and debris build-up to stop pets from scratching and head shaking
- It has a pleasant smell that eliminates odor
- The ear cleaner has a strong fragrance
- It can be pretty messy
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Ear Therapy
Veterinary ear therapy is a formula gentle enough for sensitive ears. It is most suitable for dogs that are over 12 weeks old. The ear cleaner has a balanced pH and an easy-to-use applicator. This solution can provide relief for fungal, yeast, and bacterial infections. It is also suitable for cleaning and deodorizing pet’s ears.
The active ingredients present in this Veterinary ear therapy include lactic acid and benzoic acid. Salicylic acid and ketoconazole are also present. These active ingredients promote healthy ears and treat infections. The ear cleaner is also alcohol-free, and it has a mild scent.
Fill the ear canal with the vet ear therapy solution and massage the pet’s ears, especially below the ear canal, to fully penetrate the solution. Afterward, allow your pet to shake his head and gently clean inside the ear with a clean towel. You can use the ear cleaner weekly for odor-free ears and about twice daily to clean really dirty ears
- Gentle formula
- Balanced pH
- Easy to use applicator
- Lactic acid
- Benzoic acid
- Salicylic acid
- Mild scent
- Brand: Veterinary Formula
- Dimensions: 1.9 × 1.9 × 5.26 in
- Weight: 4.8 oz.
- The veterinary formula ear therapy is gentle enough for sensitive ears
- It has a balanced pH that prevents stings and burns
- The applicator is easy to use
- The ear cleaner provides relief for bacterial, fungal, and yeast infection
- It can clean, disinfect, and deodorize the ear canal
- The lactic acid present reduces excess moisture in the ear canal
- The ear cleaner contains benzoic acid that has antifungal properties suitable for treating infections
- The salicylic acid present had anti-inflammatory properties ideal for relieving aches and pain
- Ketoconazole also has antifungal properties that can treat fungal and yeast infections
- It is alcohol-free and doesn’t cause irritation
- The ear cleaner has a mild scent
- The dog ear cleaner is quite expensive
- It is pretty messy during application
Pet MD Dog Ear Cleaner Wipes
The pet MD dog ear cleaner wipes have pads infused with aloe vera and natural eucalyptus oil. The wipes are perfect for quick cleanups and daily use. It can keep dogs’ ears free of wax, debris, and discharge. Furthermore, this ear cleaner is ideal for controlling and inhibiting the growth of yeast and mites.
When using the pet MD ear cleaner wipes, gently rub the accessible portion of the ear with a pad. Repeat the process with a clean pad till it is free of dirt. For maintenance of healthy ears, it is advisable to use the wipes daily. The pet MD ear cleaner wipes is safe for dogs that are 12 weeks or older
- Aloe Vera gel
- Eucalyptus oil
- Disposable pads
- Brand: Pet MD
- Package Dimensions: 2.83 × 2.68 × 2.56 in
- Weight: 5.9 oz.
- The ear wipes give dogs healthy, fresh-smelling ears
- The wipes are suitable for daily use
- It can clean, deodorize, and dry the ear canal
- The wipes are suitable for keeping the ear free of wax, discharges, and debris
- It Dan in it the growth of yeast and mites
- The wipes dab reduce foul odor, painful itching, and scratching
- The aloe Vera gel moisturizes the skin and speeds up wound healing. It also reduces inflammation and redness
- The eucalyptus oil has antiseptic properties that can treat wounds and pain. It is also suitable for soothing inflammation and giving dogs’ ears a fresh smelling scent
- The pads are small and thin
PPP Pet Aroma Care Ear Wipes
The Pet Aroma Care ear wipes are suitable for cleaning dog’s ears regularly. The wipes contain aloe vera and eucalyptus, and they are disposable. You can use the wipes for dogs that are 12 weeks or older
Carefully life pets ears and gently wipe the accessible areas with the Pet Aroma Care ear wipes. Use a fresh pad for each ear and repeat till the ears are clean. It is best to use the ear wipes once or twice weekly to maintain healthy ears.
- Aloe vera
- Count of 100
- Brand: PPP
- Dimensions: 3 × 3 × 2.75 in
- Weight: 5.6 oz.
- The ear wipes are suitable for removing debris and wax build-up in the outer ears
- The fragrance is fresh, and it reduces odor
- The aloe vera moisturizes the ears and soothes itches and scratches
- The ear swipes are small and not thick enough
Buying Guide Questions
In this section, we answer questions regarding do ear cleaners. Read on for more information.
What do groomers use to clean dog’s ears?
Usually, groomers dry out a dog’s ear wax using a medicated ear powder. Afterward, they remove the debris with a tweezer-like instrument otherwise known as a hemostat. Next, they swab your dog’s ear canal with a suitable dog ear cleaner.
What can I use to clean my dogs’ ears at home?
Regular ear cleaning is essential to prevent ear infections in your dog. Fortunately, there are ingredients you can find in your kitchen suitable for cleaning dogs’ ears. The best homemade dog ear cleaner should contain one part of distilled white vinegar and two parts of water at room temperature.
After mixing the ingredients, pour in a squeeze bottle. It is important to note that homemade ear cleaners are suitable only for dogs with healthy ears. Always ask your Vet before using the homemade ear cleaner.
How do you get brown gunk out of a dog’s ear?
You can apply a vet-approved dog ear cleaner to your dog’s ears and gently massage the base of the ear for about 30 seconds. When the ear cleaner dislodges brown gunk and debris, you will hear a squishing sound. Afterward, let your dog shake his head and then wipe the outer ear with a cotton ball.
Should I clean my dog’s ears every day?
No. Everyday cleaning may irritate a dog’s ears, thereby causing infections. It is best to clean your dog’s ears once a month. However, if your dog breed has floppy ears or swims often, you may clean the ears about once a week.
Does ear plucking hurt dogs?
Yes. Ear plucking can cause microscopic tears in the ear canal, thus increasing the risk of ear infections.
Can I use baby wipes to clean my dog’s ears?
Yes. It would be best if you used alcohol-free wipes when cleaning your dog’s ears. Also, only remove debris visible in the outer ear. After cleaning, you can dry your dog’s ears with a cotton ball or tissue.
How can I treat my dog’s ear infection without going to the Vet?
Dog ear infections can lead to severe complications, including hearing loss, when left untreated. You can either use a vet-recommended ear cleaning solution or apple cider vinegar. Ear cleaning solutions like Zymox are especially suitable for dogs’ viral, bacterial, and yeast causing ear infections. Also, vinegar solution is ideal for treating ear infections. However, ensure that there are no open wounds in your dog’s ears before use.
How do you clean a dog’s ears without an ear cleaner?
Dog ear cleaners are the most effective way of removing debris in your dog’s ears. Without an ear cleaner, you may use a cotton ball, but you can only clean the outer part of the ear to prevent discomfort or damage to your dog’s eardrum.
What is the black gunk in my dog’s ear?
Although the ear self-cleans by producing wax, it may be a sign of infection whenever you notice black gunk. It is best to visit a vet immediately if your dog has black gunk in his ears or he frequently shakes his head or rubs his head against furniture.
How do you flush out a dog’s ears?
You can use an ear cleaning solution to flush out your dog’s ears. All you need do is apply the solution carefully to the ears and massage the ear base. When the debris dislodges, gently clean with a cotton ball.
How can I cure my dog’s smelly ears?
Dogs’ ears smell due to the presence of infections or a build-up of wax. You can get rid of smelly ears by cleaning your dog’s ears with vet-approved ear cleaners.
Dogs require regular ear cleaning to reduce wax build-up and prevent ear infections. In this article, we discuss the best ear cleaners for your pet. If you notice any pain or discomfort when cleaning your dog’s ears, ask your Vet immediately.